File Conflict - RAID issue? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have WHS (originally 1 TB from HP) with a Cavalry RAID (2TB) "SAN" plus an additional 1.5 TB I have added to the WHS itself.  I started to receive "File Conflict" notices through the WHS UI and then noticed that one of the drives in the RAID was yellow (as opposed to the nice green).  I called Cavalry and they said to rebuild the RAID using their tool.  That concerns me because of the way WHS handles files.  I have not installed or used their software since I added it to my WHS and it has otherwise worked fine.  WHS notes all the drives as still "Healthy" but obviously something is wrong.  From my understanding WHS is really not using the Cavalry RAID system at all, just using the drives individually (is that true?).  Any ideas of how to force WHS to re-check the drive to see if there really is a problem and how to fix it?

Thanks, any help is appreciated
    Lee
    CCF Architect / Core Development Manager
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 6:51 PM

Answers

•   Any ideas of how to force WHS to re-check the drive to see if there really is a problem and how to fix it?

Please see this FAQ, specifically the section that explains how to run chkdsk.
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 7:03 PM
  • That is one way of dealing with a drive that's having physical problems. Sometimes those problems will prevent the Windows Home Server console from being able to successfully remove the drive from the storage pool.

The downside is that if:
    1. You don't have duplication turned on for all shares, and 
    2. Windows Home Server has stored some (or all) of the files in those shares on the failing drive,
    You could lose files. Your backup database is also at risk, for the same reason: it's not duplicated. If any components of the database are on the failing drive, they will be lost in this scenario.

To remove a disk in this way:
    • Shut down the server.
    • Physically disconnect the failing disk.
    • Restart the server.
    • Start the Windows Home Server console, and remove the drive reported as "Missing", accepting warnings about potential loss of data.
    Afterward, you can connect the drive to some other computer and use data recovery software on it, or you can send the drive out for recovery (expensive).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, May 11, 2009 4:19 PM

All replies

•   Any ideas of how to force WHS to re-check the drive to see if there really is a problem and how to fix it?

Please see this FAQ, specifically the section that explains how to run chkdsk.
    Windows Home Server
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 7:03 PM
  • OK - tried that but the drives in the SAN could not be accessed with chkdsk.  Also in the computer management/disk management area the 4 drives there appear but are not labelled DATA like all the others.  The WHS UI still shows them as healthy.  So I have a question - based on the light on the Calavry box I know which actual drive it is that is having an issue BUT I do not know which one it is in the WHS UI.  My plan is to tell it I want to remove the harddrive via the UI then pop it out and re-add it again to see if that flushes out any problems  (if that does not work I'll just replace it of course).  So the question is how can I tell in the WHS UI which drive is which - they all have the same name: "WDC WD50000AAKS-00TMA SCSI Disk Device"?

Thanks
    Lee
    Microsoft Services / CCF Architect
    Friday, May 8, 2009 10:04 PM
  • OK - tried that but the drives in the SAN could not be accessed with chkdsk.  Also in the computer management/disk management area the 4 drives there appear but are not labelled DATA like all the others.  The WHS UI still shows them as healthy.  So I have a question - based on the light on the Calavry box I know which actual drive it is that is having an issue BUT I do not know which one it is in the WHS UI.  My plan is to tell it I want to remove the harddrive via the UI then pop it out and re-add it again to see if that flushes out any problems  (if that does not work I'll just replace it of course).  So the question is how can I tell in the WHS UI which drive is which - they all have the same name: "WDC WD50000AAKS-00TMA SCSI Disk Device"?

Thanks
    Lee

There really isn't a way to identify a drive via the console. If you have a drive with conflicts, chances are it's reporting event ID 55s or event ID 7s in the system event log. If that's the case, you can check the log to see which drive is bad by select "properties" on the event and then use Theo's steps here to determine which drive to remove.

Another option is to shut down the system and do a trial and error removal for each drive until you find the right one. Once you do, you can perform a missing drive removal or place the drive back in and remove it properly. I know, it's not the most elegant solution.

You can also try the disk management add-in but if you are already having trouble, installing now is probably not a good idea.
    Windows Home Server
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 1:21 AM
  • Thanks - one more question - I am sure it is not the best method but what happens if I just shut down WHS pull the bad drive and turn it back on?  Shouldn't it just "fix" the data from the existing drives?  (RAID-like) and then I can add one back in afterwards?

Thanks
    Lee
    Monday, May 11, 2009 12:49 PM
  • That is one way of dealing with a drive that's having physical problems. Sometimes those problems will prevent the Windows Home Server console from being able to successfully remove the drive from the storage pool.

The downside is that if:
    1. You don't have duplication turned on for all shares, and 
    2. Windows Home Server has stored some (or all) of the files in those shares on the failing drive,
    You could lose files. Your backup database is also at risk, for the same reason: it's not duplicated. If any components of the database are on the failing drive, they will be lost in this scenario.

To remove a disk in this way:
    • Shut down the server.
    • Physically disconnect the failing disk.
    • Restart the server.
    • Start the Windows Home Server console, and remove the drive reported as "Missing", accepting warnings about potential loss of data.
    Afterward, you can connect the drive to some other computer and use data recovery software on it, or you can send the drive out for recovery (expensive).

Monday, May 11, 2009 4:19 PM
  • Thanks - more than 1 more question I guess - by default is duplication on?  (I wanted it to be and I do believe it is, I am away from my server for a few days so I am trying to think of all the gotchas not beforeI do anything).

By back up - do you mean the back ups of the various PCs or  WHS backup?

Thanks

Monday, May 11, 2009 8:25 PM
  • Any shares created since you added a second (third, etc.) disk to your server will have duplication on. That includes the original shares, if your server was configured from installation with two or more disks. Off the top of my head I can't tell you what happens when you add a second drive to a server with only one drive, becuase I don't have any of those at the moment. Even my test VM servers have two vhds...

And I was referring to the PC backups. The server share backup feature uses a separate drive, so there is no opportunity for duplication, other than that the backup will be a duplicate of one or more server shares.

Monday, May 11, 2009 8:42 PM
  • Any shares created since you added a second (third, etc.) disk to your server will have duplication on. That includes the original shares, if your server was configured from installation with two or more disks. Off the top of my head I can't tell you what happens when you add a second drive to a server with only one drive, becuase I don't have any of those at the moment. Even my test VM servers have two vhds...

WHS does not automatically enable Folder Duplication on existing shares when you add a second hard drive.

And I was referring to the PC backups. The server share backup feature uses a separate drive, so there is no opportunity for duplication, other than that the backup will be a duplicate of one or more server shares.

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 4:13 AM