Genuine Microsoft - I feel cheated!!!! RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased a new computer in December. On it was a trial version of MS Office presumably put there by Microsoft to try to sell me something. I also had purchased and installed a perfectly genuine copy of Microsoft Office Home edition from PC World. This afternoon, I needed to obtain an add-on for MS Word and was asked to validate my software.

Sure enough, MS Home returned vadid. BUT my PC cannot be validated because it has the stupid trial version on there as well and wants a key for it. I have spent the entire afternoon trying to get a key without success. Microsoft has collected loads of information from me in exchange for this key and then none was provided - time and again the space where it should have appeared is empty. I think that this is unacceptable.

• I have bought a valid copy of your software and should therefore be entitled to use it as such
    • The trial that I have should be startable at any time without preventing me from making full use of what I have bought - who knows, I may want to try more of it later!
    • Obtaining a key for the trial is a trial in itself
    • There is no easy way to remove the trial.

I am in a position to influence purchase of this software in a large organisation and so far I am totally unimpressed and unlikely to recommend upgrading either to Vista or Office 2007. I also own several machines that I was considering upgrading. The above fiasco, and the ridiculous way in which Office is packaged is making me think twice. It would be much simpler if one could pick say, 4 modules of one's choice for one price, 6 modules for another etc. It is especially irritating that One Note is only available in two of the options - the cheapest and the most expensive. This was the only reason that I purchased the Home edition rather than upgrade my Office Professional 2007.

Monday, January 14, 2008 12:33 AM

Answers