IE does not dial connection RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

I'm using Steadystate.

I added a shared user to the administrators group and I configured the shared user profile in IE to dial a connection whenever a network connection is not present. After logging off/rebooting I removed this user from the administrators group.

The user is not locked and I have set no restrictions to it.

When I log-in to the system with the user and check the connections settings in IE it is reverted back to "Never dial a connection".

I try to modify the setting, click OK, close the IE options dialog.

When I go back to connection settings, the dial-up setting is reverted back to "Never dial a connection" again. (User is member of the Users group only).

If I log on with the admin account, put the user into Administrators group and log-in with the user, the IE connection option is set to "Dial whenever a network connection is not present".

How can I keep this setting, without adding the user to the admin group?

A similar problem appears at a locked user profile as well. When the user is part of admin group and I remove the IE menu, but if I remove the user from the admin group and lock it, the IE menu appears. It seems the setting is coming from somewhere else...

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Alex

Sunday, April 20, 2008 11:39 AM

Answers

•  

Hi Alex, thank you for your feedback on this issue. Yes, this "issue" can be repro on SteadyState installed computer, however, this behavior is by design. For shared user account which is not a member of Administrator group, IE settings cannot be kept. If you prefer to keep this setting in IE, we can also consider to create a restricted Administrator account for those users. If you would like to know the detail about it, please refers to the following thread:

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3021398&SiteID=17

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 8:07 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Alex, thank you for your feedback on this issue. Yes, this "issue" can be repro on SteadyState installed computer, however, this behavior is by design. For shared user account which is not a member of Administrator group, IE settings cannot be kept. If you prefer to keep this setting in IE, we can also consider to create a restricted Administrator account for those users. If you would like to know the detail about it, please refers to the following thread:

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3021398&SiteID=17

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 8:07 AM
  • Hello Sean,

Thank you for your answer.

Best regards,

Alex

Thursday, April 24, 2008 6:49 PM