Detecting UDP packet loss when connecting video-streamers to a Windows-2003-Server hosted application RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I hope this is the right forum (I found no forum on MSDN that really matches).

We're connecting several hundred hardware video camera devices to a Windows 2003 Server system. The hardware devices speak the RTP protocol using UDP multicast. I'm currently writing the receiving application that has to handle several 100 mbit/s of incoming video data.

I'm using .NET sockets (that perform quite fast as we measured, maybe because MS did a good by using IOCP etc. :). When I use a very small UDP-Socket-Buffer size I see lots of packet losses. When I use a big UDP-Socket-Buffer I see no packet losses. So the small UDP-Socket-Version that looses packets should loose the packets in the UCP-Socket-Buffer and nowhere else, right ? So I can use the small UDP-Socket-Version as a test-tool to enforce packet-loss in the UDP-Buffer.

When I use "netstat -s" I don't see any of the packet loss I enforced with the small-UDP-buffer-application. It is important for us to have a tool handy for our customers (airports, banks, subways ...) to analyze in case of trouble if there's an overflow in the sockets UDP-buffer or if anything else drops too much packets (Camera, Switch, NIC, Server-Application whatever ...).

I tried not only "netstat -s", I also tried almost any good-sounding perfmon counter ... but I didn't see the packet loss I enforced.

Question:
    How can I see wether there's packet loss in the UDP-socket-buffer ? Is "netstat -s" the right command ? Is it reliable ? Does it depend on features of the NIC-driver ? Why don't I see the dropped packets created with my test-tool ?

Thanks a lot,
    Roelof Berg

Thursday, October 9, 2008 7:14 PM

Answers

•    Hi Roelof,

Thanks for your post.

However, this forum is intended to address questios on the Open Protocols Interoperability documents.

I am not quite sure what would be the best forum for your question but it seems this one is going to be a little bit more accurate:

Platform Networking

RSS
    Discussion on networking with Windows Server, including networking technologies and solutions

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winserverPN/threads/

Thanks and regards,

SEBASTIAN CANEVARI - MSFT SEE Protocol Documentation Team
    Friday, October 10, 2008 3:36 PM

All replies

•    Hi Roelof,

Thanks for your post.

However, this forum is intended to address questios on the Open Protocols Interoperability documents.

I am not quite sure what would be the best forum for your question but it seems this one is going to be a little bit more accurate:

Platform Networking

RSS
    Discussion on networking with Windows Server, including networking technologies and solutions

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winserverPN/threads/

Thanks and regards,

SEBASTIAN CANEVARI - MSFT SEE Protocol Documentation Team
    Friday, October 10, 2008 3:36 PM
  • Sorry for the wrong placement, thank you for finding out the right forum :) I will post the question to the forum you suggested.
    Monday, October 13, 2008 8:21 AM