none
When Typing A Reply, Notify If Another Reply Is Posted RRS feed

• Question

• Many of the technical posts on the TechNet forums take several minutes to research, write up, and post.  I would say about 15% of the time, when I hit the post button after investing all this effort, the page refreshes to reveal that someone posted right after I originally loaded the page.

My suggestion is that the forums should use some pretty-pretty AJAX type stuff (yeah, I'm not a web developer) to give a live visual indicator that the thread you are working on has been updated. This should happen when just reading it, but especially when you have hit reply and are working on a response.

This has to happen to other people, right?

I hope that helps,

Nash

Nash Pherson, Senior Systems Consultant
    Now Micro - My Blog Posts
    If you've found a bug or want the product worked differently, share your feedback.
    <-- If this post was helpful, please click "Vote as Helpful".

• Edited by NPherson Friday, May 2, 2014 2:36 AM
    Friday, May 2, 2014 2:19 AM

All replies

• I completely agree with this idea.

I often open up a bunch of threads at once and by the time I get to some of the later posts someone else has already responded.

Don't retire TechNet! - (Don't give up yet - 12,830+ strong and growing)

Friday, May 2, 2014 2:25 AM
  • Yep...  I get half way through writing a response, get distracted by the real job, then finish and post... only to find that someone already said the same thing I just posted.  And now I look like a dick trying to inflate points. 

I try (but usually fail) to copy the text of my response, refresh the page to check for an update, then paste the text back in.

Nash Pherson, Senior Systems Consultant
    Now Micro - My Blog Posts
    If you've found a bug or want the product worked differently, share your feedback.
    <-- If this post was helpful, please click "Vote as Helpful".

• Edited by NPherson Friday, May 2, 2014 2:43 AM
    Friday, May 2, 2014 2:42 AM
  • Yep...  I get half way through writing a response, get distracted by the real job, then finish and post... only to find that someone already said the same thing I just posted.  And now I look like a dick trying to inflate points. 

I try (but usually fail) to copy the text of my response, refresh the page to check for an update, then paste the text back in.

Yeah, I know what you mean. =]

I generally go back and edit the post grumbling about the fact that I forgot to refresh yet again...

I've started opening the threads I'm replying to in a second tab and refreshing there to check for new responses, so I don't lose my progress. That's only if I realize that I've had too much time elapse, and that's still a rather rare occurrence.

Don't retire TechNet! - (Don't give up yet - 12,830+ strong and growing)

Friday, May 2, 2014 3:15 AM