none
OEM Install then Windows Update - which services should be running? RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using WHS homebuild and am really happy with it and plan to reinstall my purchased OEM version over the old trial version. However after looking around I see that the latest media refresh including PP3 on the MS site is not yet available (in the UK anyway) via Amazon and other retailers.

I have also read that PP1 and possibly 2 and 3 changed which services etc should run.

Question:
    Should I reinstall the trial version again and wait to purchase a refreshed media of the OEM version or is 'it safe' to install the old OEM purchse, do a full Windows Update and then check all the services? If so, which services should be in what state 'out-of-the-box?

I believe there was a service that was disabled that clashed with drive exyender but cannot find the details

Thanks
    Monday, January 4, 2010 11:56 AM

Answers

• I just recently installed WHS PP1 and I just let it, through Windows Update, install PP2 and PP3. It didn't take long for them to get downloaded and installed along with all the other updates and security fixes. So I'd just go ahead and install the version you have.

Also I'd recommend leaving the Services as is as you never know what side affect turning off one will have on your server.

http://www.wwiivehicles.com
    Monday, January 4, 2010 2:23 PM