Backup Repair is EXTREMELY slow RRS feed

• Question

• Running Vail on a i3-530 with 6GB of memory and 6 drives of various capacities.  Backed-up one of my machines about 3TB of data (office files, movies both DVD and Blu-Ray, camera RAW and jpg etc).  to Vail.  Turned OFF Duplication for the Network Computer Backups Folder as the Vail machine has only about a total of 4TBs of storage.  Vail reported backup database errors.  I'm running the backup database Repair Service.  in 2 days, it has only completed 2% of the repair.  That means it will take 3months to finish.  This is really very ludicrous. This is certainly a show stopper.  Vail is not even ready for beta preview.  Sounds like the architecture of the new file system is pretty much flawed.  See my other post on totally unacceptable performance.  MS should go back to the drawing board on this product.
    Sang Peiris
    Monday, July 5, 2010 7:18 PM

All replies

• Running Vail on a i3-530 with 6GB of memory and 6 drives of various capacities.  Backed-up one of my machines about 3TB of data (office files, movies both DVD and Blu-Ray, camera RAW and jpg etc).  to Vail.  Turned OFF Duplication for the Network Computer Backups Folder as the Vail machine has only about a total of 4TBs of storage.  Vail reported backup database errors.  I'm running the backup database Repair Service.  in 2 days, it has only completed 2% of the repair.  That means it will take 3months to finish.  This is really very ludicrous. This is certainly a show stopper.  Vail is not even ready for beta preview.  Sounds like the architecture of the new file system is pretty much flawed.  See my other post on totally unacceptable performance.  MS should go back to the drawing board on this product.
    Sang Peiris
    I don't have any issue even vaguely close to what you're describing (although I haven't put anywhere near as much data on mine as you have because it is, after all, beta).  If the issue you describe was widespread, this forum would have been hammered with complaints by now.  I think you have a hardware/driver issue somewhere.  Have you tried running chkdsk /r on each drive in your server?  If that doesn't help, you should file a bug report on Connect.
    Monday, July 5, 2010 7:36 PM
  • I have run checkdsk and also the consistency checker. they report no errors.  Not sure what it is... this is the same hardware that was running home server and it was running fine.  I'm re-installing from scratch to see if i can reproduce.  
    Sang Peiris
    Monday, July 5, 2010 8:27 PM