none
Get node availability using Powershell RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I need to obtain the node availability information for a cluster using powershell, is there a way to get that information?

The information I need is the same that appears on the HPC Cluster Manager, under Charts and Reports - Reports - Node Availability.

I thought maybe the Export-HPCMetrics command would work, but it doesn't have that information.

Thanks
    Monday, June 22, 2009 6:48 PM

Answers

• In V2 (Windows HPC Server 2008) the answer is yes with some dev work. You can get node's Added/Removed/Online/Offline/Reachable/Unreachable/Draining state change history from Get-HpcNodeStateHistory cmdlet, and then put together the node availability. If you are interested in the "Available" definition in HPC Server, it means a node is "Online" and "Reachable". So there is somehow tricky formula like

sum(TheTimeANodeBecomesUnavailable - TheTimeANodeBecomesAvailable) / sum(TheTimeANodeIsRemoved - TheTimeANodeIsAdded)

In V3 (Windows HPC Server 2008 R2) we are considering expose the hourly aggregated node availability data though reporting database view.

Feel free to let us know if you have further questions. Thanks.

• Proposed as answer by Zhen WEI MSFT Tuesday, June 23, 2009 2:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by willvv Tuesday, June 23, 2009 3:19 AM
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 2:07 AM

All replies

• In V2 (Windows HPC Server 2008) the answer is yes with some dev work. You can get node's Added/Removed/Online/Offline/Reachable/Unreachable/Draining state change history from Get-HpcNodeStateHistory cmdlet, and then put together the node availability. If you are interested in the "Available" definition in HPC Server, it means a node is "Online" and "Reachable". So there is somehow tricky formula like

sum(TheTimeANodeBecomesUnavailable - TheTimeANodeBecomesAvailable) / sum(TheTimeANodeIsRemoved - TheTimeANodeIsAdded)

In V3 (Windows HPC Server 2008 R2) we are considering expose the hourly aggregated node availability data though reporting database view.

Feel free to let us know if you have further questions. Thanks.

• Proposed as answer by Zhen WEI MSFT Tuesday, June 23, 2009 2:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by willvv Tuesday, June 23, 2009 3:19 AM
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 2:07 AM
  • Thanks for your answer, I guess I'll have to do that...

And what do you mean by "through reporting database view"? is there any reporting db that I can access directly from code?

Thanks
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 3:20 AM
  • Yes, we are considering to expose a reporting database view schema of SQL Server, so that you can query it from any SQL client, including your code of course.
    Sunday, July 5, 2009 5:36 PM