none
Drive Size Recommendation RRS feed

• Question

• I'm building a new WHS computer to backup 3 computers with ~50GB of total used space (data, programs, OS, etc.).  I've run into some confusion as to the hard drive size I'll need.  Do you have any recommendations/best practices for a single drive to put into the WHS box?  Data redundancy is not an issue, since regular backups to an external USB drive will be performed.  I'm just looking for general recommendations - I'd hate to buy a 500GB drive, only to find out that under 25% of it will ever be used.
    Monday, July 20, 2009 10:12 AM

Answers

• Well, I didn't really get a clear answer about this.  I'm guessing from the response that 50GB (data) + 20GB (system) is all I need in the WHS to back up these computers.  I'm also unclear as to how any "extra" space will be used.

All of this is moot anyway, since I ended up finding a good deal on a 320GB drive.

• Marked as answer by jcws6 Tuesday, August 11, 2009 3:53 AM
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 3:53 AM

All replies

• In short WHS took 20 gigs just for the O/S thus its only going to leave you with 30 might wanna spend the 99 bucks from newegg on a 1tb hard drive
    Monday, July 20, 2009 10:58 AM
  • The minimum specification for the system drive in your home server is 80 GB. That will work out to 74 "real" GB. Windows Home server will split that into a 20 GB system partition, and a 54 GB (drive size - 20 GB, really) data partition, which is the root of the "storage pool". For more about disk use in Windows Home Server, you might want to read the help files that are supplied, and the Drive Extender technical brief.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, July 20, 2009 4:06 PM
  • Well, I didn't really get a clear answer about this.  I'm guessing from the response that 50GB (data) + 20GB (system) is all I need in the WHS to back up these computers.  I'm also unclear as to how any "extra" space will be used.

All of this is moot anyway, since I ended up finding a good deal on a 320GB drive.

• Marked as answer by jcws6 Tuesday, August 11, 2009 3:53 AM
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 3:53 AM