locked
WHS Network problem when backing up Windows 7 machine RRS feed

  • Question

  • My Windows Home Server setup was making automatic backups of my Windows XP machine. I recently upgraded the latter to Windows 7, and since then have had a peculiar problem.

    Every day my WHS is unreachable on the network. Manually restarting the machine makes it available again, and everything seemed to work. The event log noted some errors about browser election, so I followed some advice on google and disabled the computer browser service on all computers. The problem continued, though the messages in the WHS event log disappeared.

    Trying different things, I disabled the WHS backup for my Windows 7 machine. That was about a week ago, and I have not had any problems since. Which is good, but I'd like to re-enable the backup, for obvious reasons. I have since re-enabled the computer browser service and there are no problems.

    I found one thread on this site that seems to indicate a problem with Realtek NICs. Both my server and Win7 computer have realtek NICs, I wanted to see if this was indeed a problem, and if re-installing the drivers from Realtek website would fix the problem. I did install the realtek drivers initially, but then remember seeing a MS driver update coming through microsoft update, which I believe I did install.

    Does anybody have more experience with this problem?
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 5:34 AM

Answers

  • For the benefit of someone who may have the same problem - I tried every combination of driver I could, going back as far as 2007. Finally the only thing that worked were the drivers from Feb 2010 (at both ends), and Jumbo frames turned off.

    Performance hit I guess, but it works!
    • Marked as answer by MeWa Tuesday, July 13, 2010 5:18 AM
    Monday, March 1, 2010 6:17 AM

All replies

  • I would install the drivers you downloaded and not go with the drivers provided by automatic update. 


    --
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 11:08 AM
  • I would install the drivers you downloaded and not go with the drivers provided by automatic update. 


    --
    I got the latest drivers from realtek.com.tw, still same problem
    Friday, February 12, 2010 1:00 AM
  • I think the cause are the newer drivers.  Try using the built in Roll Back driver in Device Manager - you may have to do it a number of times to get back to ones that were working.


    --
    Friday, February 12, 2010 1:30 AM
  • I think the cause are the newer drivers.  Try using the built in Roll Back driver in Device Manager - you may have to do it a number of times to get back to ones that were working.


    --
    Should I be rolling back the drivers on the server, client or both?
    Friday, February 12, 2010 4:35 AM
  • I would say both but without knowing at what point your backups fail it's hard to say.  As the problem is related to Realtek drivers I would search other forums for solutions on your client PCs.

    I think the problems occurred from 7th January Drivers.  So using drivers from late in 2009 should be fine.

    In future it's a good idea to only update drivers if you need a fix that they provide.

    Good luck,
    Al


    --
    Friday, February 12, 2010 11:07 AM
  • So I've rolled back as much as I can, using drivers from 2009 on both machines. Problem persists. If anybody can post the driver versions for drivers known to work, it would be really helpful.

    My server is using the RTL8169 chipset and desktop RTL8168
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 5:29 AM
  • For the benefit of someone who may have the same problem - I tried every combination of driver I could, going back as far as 2007. Finally the only thing that worked were the drivers from Feb 2010 (at both ends), and Jumbo frames turned off.

    Performance hit I guess, but it works!
    • Marked as answer by MeWa Tuesday, July 13, 2010 5:18 AM
    Monday, March 1, 2010 6:17 AM