none
Lost years worth of pictures RRS feed

• Question

• I deleted years worth of pictures to free up some space on my harddrive temporarily. I had backed up using synctoy prior to doing so. When I went to restore I lost pretty much all of the files.They do not appEAR ON EITHER MY BACKUP DISC OR THE LAPTOP. I don't want to mess with anything until I figure out a potential cause.

Please help.

I am using Windows XP.

Friday, May 20, 2011 4:05 PM

All replies

• When you did a restore, were you using a Folder Pair Action "Synchronize"? If so, SyncToy would think that you deleted them on your laptop, so it needs to delete them on your backup drive to keep 'synchronized'.

It does not sound like this is what you wanted. Your first and greatest hope is that you had the "Save overwritten files in the Recycle Bin" option checked in your Folder Pair Options settings. If this was set (and the Recycle Bin was not full), you should find most of your deleted files in the backup device's Recycle Bin. First verify that ALL of your files are in the bin, then you can simply restore the files. If only some of the files are in the recycle bin, you will be better off with the second method...

If you did not have this Recycle Bin option set, you will need to avoid writing any further information to the backup drive. Use your favorite search engine with the word Undelete. There are several free utilities out there. These should be able to recover your most of your files - so long as there has not been writing activity on the backup drive since they were deleted.

Good luck to you on this!

Friday, May 20, 2011 8:33 PM
  • Thankss for your response. I was able to recover some from the recycle bin however due to the number of files thye were not all there. I will try the second option as well. Thanks for your help.
    Sunday, May 22, 2011 12:40 PM
  • So what should Kenuks have done after deleting the files on his computer to prevent SyncToy from deleting the corresponding files on the backup disc?

dan

Monday, September 19, 2011 11:17 PM
  • So what should Kenuks have done after deleting the files on his computer to prevent SyncToy from deleting the corresponding files on the backup disc?

dan

If Kenuks lost his files because he chose "Synchronize" when he created the pair, then he should click the "change action" link in the folder pair window, and change from "Synchronize" to "Echo".

For backups "Echo" is the right choice in SyncToy. "Contribute" is a choice only if you are paranoid and you dont want to delete anything from your backup folder. "Synchronize" is not for backups.

Sunday, September 25, 2011 6:41 AM
  • So why not make Echo the default choice instead of Synchronize?  I suspect that many people make this mistake because "synchronize" has meaning (the one the OP took for granted) that we are all familiar with, while Echo in the sense SynchToy uses it is not intuitive.

Monday, September 26, 2011 3:26 PM
  • But even if he had used Echo, if Kenuks deleted the files on his hard disc, that would also delete his backup files on the external.

dan

Thursday, September 29, 2011 11:42 PM