Event Log Corrupt RRS feed

• Question

• I don't know if this is WHS or W2K3 related, but since it happened on my WHS, I'll post here and go from there.

When updating one of my workstations after the PP3 update, I logged onto the server postupdate to check the event logs.

All were OK except for the system log, which reports being corrupt and won't display.  Naturally, the only change I've made to the system was the PP3 update. 

Would the PP3 update potentially corrupt the log?  Or would other issues (like a failed client software update attempt) do that?

Now that I've found the problem, how do I reset the log so the event viewer log will log new events?
    files are shared, workstations are backed up (and occasionally restored) and life goes on...
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 1:13 PM

Answers

• I normally reset the event log by clearing all events.

As for what would cause event log corruption, the event log is a file, so a disk error would do the job nicely. You may want to run chkdsk /r on your system drive (both partitions).
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Technogeez Wednesday, November 25, 2009 6:27 PM
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 1:51 PM

All replies

• I normally reset the event log by clearing all events.

As for what would cause event log corruption, the event log is a file, so a disk error would do the job nicely. You may want to run chkdsk /r on your system drive (both partitions).
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Technogeez Wednesday, November 25, 2009 6:27 PM
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 1:51 PM
  • THanks, Ken, I did a little more research and found the "book answer," basically what you said.

I'll be watching my system drive closely...
    files are shared, workstations are backed up (and occasionally restored) and life goes on...
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 6:28 PM
  • I noticed my WHS did not connect with the rest of my PC's this morning. I powered if off & then back on. Still none of my PC's would connect to it. Since I had no video card installed I couldn't see where the system was at. Planned on working on it today when I got home from work. So I powered it up one more time afterwork right before I was about to throw in the extra video card. Now it works fine or at least it seems to work fine. All software and paths are working again.

Well I decide to look over at the event viewer and I get the same exact thing, Event Viewer Log is Corrupt.  Now I did not check this Event viewer after my Beta PP3 was installed but I did have these lack of connection issues this mourning and I had changed nothing except configure Remote Desktop Connection on a few of the client PC's yesterday. No changes to the actual server since it was already remote setup to my main system.

Did the full release of PP3 come out? I only have the beta installed. Let me know what you find and I will as well.
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 11:46 PM
  • I noticed my WHS did not connect with the rest of my PC's this morning. I powered if off & then back on. Still none of my PC's would connect to it. Since I had no video card installed I couldn't see where the system was at. Planned on working on it today when I got home from work. So I powered it up one more time afterwork right before I was about to throw in the extra video card. Now it works fine or at least it seems to work fine. All software and paths are working again.

Well I decide to look over at the event viewer and I get the same exact thing, Event Viewer Log is Corrupt.  Now I did not check this Event viewer after my Beta PP3 was installed but I did have these lack of connection issues this mourning and I had changed nothing except configure Remote Desktop Connection on a few of the client PC's yesterday. No changes to the actual server since it was already remote setup to my main system.

Did the full release of PP3 come out? I only have the beta installed. Let me know what you find and I will as well.
    Yes it did.  I checked my event logs after installing PP3 and they were fine.
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 6:27 AM