Is there a command to reconnect clients to the server or do I always have to reboot RRS feed

• Question

• I have a printer attached to my server using whs.

I would like to know if there is a command that will re-enable the connection to the client if the server is rebooted.

For example, if I take the server down for any reason and restart, the client’s cannot see the printer and I have to reboot each individual client to restore connectivity.

This seems to be a long winded way of doing things.

Wednesday, June 3, 2009 8:30 AM

Answers

• This reply did help as it helped to identify the problem. When I keyed \\servername I realised that the client hadn't connected. After logging in I could access all files but still couldn't print.

Something weird was going on and ultmaltely I deleted the printer from the network and re-assigned it. This worked. I guess the network path had become corrput somehow.
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 11:18 PM

All replies

• Normally the connection should be restored within a few minutes or when you try to use the printer.

Alternatively you can type \\yourservername in Windows Explorer address bar (perhaps you also need to press F5 key or right click printer and select properties)  or open Printers and Faxes from start menu, then press F5 key or right click printer and select properties. 
    • Marked as answer by CamH Wednesday, June 3, 2009 11:12 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by CamH Wednesday, June 3, 2009 11:15 PM
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 11:35 AM
  • This reply did help as it helped to identify the problem. When I keyed \\servername I realised that the client hadn't connected. After logging in I could access all files but still couldn't print.

Something weird was going on and ultmaltely I deleted the printer from the network and re-assigned it. This worked. I guess the network path had become corrput somehow.
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 11:18 PM