Disk Space Allocation RRS feed

• Question

• I installed the Disk Management plug-in so that I could learn that available free space per drive and here's what I learned.

First of all, I have the HP WHS PC.  I bought it with one 500 GB drive then connected it to one of my machines.  All was well.  Then I added a 2nd 500 GB drive to the WHS box and I thought all was well (I did not have the plug-in yet).  Then I added a 3rd 500 GB drive and all seemed well.  Then I installed the plug-in and was disappointed to learn that I only had 4% use on drive 1.  Drive 2 had 87% use and drive 3 had 79% use.  Duplication is enabled on all drives.

Can anyone explain the lack of use on drive 1 and/or what I can do to get the files distributed more equally among all 3 drives?

I thank you in advance.

Friday, May 9, 2008 5:06 AM

Answers

•  m185945 wrote:
    I installed the Disk Management plug-in so that I could learn that available free space per drive and here's what I learned.

First of all, I have the HP WHS PC.  I bought it with one 500 GB drive then connected it to one of my machines.  All was well.  Then I added a 2nd 500 GB drive to the WHS box and I thought all was well (I did not have the plug-in yet).  Then I added a 3rd 500 GB drive and all seemed well.  Then I installed the plug-in and was disappointed to learn that I only had 4% use on drive 1.  Drive 2 had 87% use and drive 3 had 79% use.  Duplication is enabled on all drives.

Can anyone explain the lack of use on drive 1

That's not how WHS works.  Drive 1 (called the Primary Drive) is used as a "landing zone" for data once it arrives.  It migrates the data to another drive (or 2 others if Folder Duplication is enabled).  It only uses the Primary Drive for storage once all others are "full" (meaning the hard drive size less 20 GB, which WHS keeps available as free space).

m185945 wrote:
    what I can do to get the files distributed more equally among all 3 drives?

You can't do anything.  It's working as designed.  Basically, it does all of the work so you don't have to. Smile

m185945 wrote:
    I thank you in advance.

Friday, May 9, 2008 5:15 AM

All replies

•  m185945 wrote:
    I installed the Disk Management plug-in so that I could learn that available free space per drive and here's what I learned.

Can anyone explain the lack of use on drive 1

That's not how WHS works.  Drive 1 (called the Primary Drive) is used as a "landing zone" for data once it arrives.  It migrates the data to another drive (or 2 others if Folder Duplication is enabled).  It only uses the Primary Drive for storage once all others are "full" (meaning the hard drive size less 20 GB, which WHS keeps available as free space).

m185945 wrote:
    what I can do to get the files distributed more equally among all 3 drives?

You can't do anything.  It's working as designed.  Basically, it does all of the work so you don't have to. Smile

m185945 wrote:
    I thank you in advance.

Friday, May 9, 2008 5:15 AM
  • I'm having an opposite problem. I added two SATA drives to my box (1T and .5T) and now the landing zone is full and gripping at me but it won't use the new drives (yes, they are added and display on the console as healthy and EMPTY). I can't add any more files to my server because it is "full" although I have 2.3TB of free space according to the console (which would be right).

Any advice?

Friday, August 29, 2008 4:50 PM
  • Hi,

This is a known side effect of the new Power Pack's space algorithm and the Developers are aware of it.

In the interim, Theo van Elsberg has created a tool which will  'fool' the server into moving the data files.

The usual comments apply, that using the tool is your own decision and responsibility, but no-one has had any problems using it.

Colin

Friday, August 29, 2008 6:00 PM