Upgrading WHS v1 to WHS v2 using an HP EX495 with 4 HD's RRS feed

• Question

• I have WHS v1 running on an HP Mediasmart EX 495.  I can't exactly  remember the steps of installation, but the final result was the OS is installed on drive C: and additional storage drives were added after the initial install.  The added drives consist of 3 - 2tb drives (1.83tb formatted) each.  The computer has 4 hotswappable bays with C:\ being the only disc that was in the machine initially (1.5tb).  I then added the 3 drives as storage both physically and in the console.  If I click on My Computer from the desktop, the drives are listed as follows:

Used                   Free

SYS (C:)         20gb                  11.4gb

Data (D:)        1.34tb                6.13tb

So my conclusion (which may be wrong) is that WHS v1 allocated 20gb for the OS on drive C: and used the rest of drive C: for storage.  As I added more storage drives, they were pooled with what was left on C: above and beyond the OS partition to yield what I am now seeing.  My plan is to install WHS v2 on the same computer.  I have already duplicated all of my data to restore to WHS 2 once it is installed.  I have also installed WHS V2 as a Hyper-V machine, so I am familiar with way it partitions 60gb for the system.  My question is:  Do I need to physically remove the additional storage drives and add them one at a time the way I added them in WHS v1 so that WHS v2 can add them via the console to the storage pool or if I leave them all in during the installation, will WHS v2 see the additional drives and just allocate that space as storage?  Or will it just C: take the remaining space on C: and allocated that as storage and I will have to go into the V2 console and add each drive?

My last question has to do with folder duplication.  In WHS v1, there was an option to click for folder duplication.  HP states that if one of the non system drives fail, then you simply pull it out and replace it with a new one while powered on.  Will I have this capability with VHS v2?

Saturday, March 26, 2011 7:25 PM

Answers

• >My question is:  Do I need to physically remove the additional storage drives and add them one at a time the way I added them in WHS v1 so that WHS v2 can add them via the console to the storage pool

There is no storage pool in WHS V2 (DE was removed)

And no, WHSv2 wont allocated storage on them.  You actually have to
    create a folder and share it on each of those drives, or move a folder
    to it from some other drive.

>My last question has to do with folder duplication.  In WHS v1, there was an option to click for folder duplication.  HP states that if one of the non system drives fail, then you simply pull it out and replace it with a new one while powered on.  Will I have this capability with VHS v2?

That also went away with DE.  You now need to use backup drives and
    backups to back up the data.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    • Marked as answer by 1strail Sunday, March 27, 2011 8:23 PM
    Saturday, March 26, 2011 7:53 PM

All replies

• >My question is:  Do I need to physically remove the additional storage drives and add them one at a time the way I added them in WHS v1 so that WHS v2 can add them via the console to the storage pool

There is no storage pool in WHS V2 (DE was removed)

And no, WHSv2 wont allocated storage on them.  You actually have to
    create a folder and share it on each of those drives, or move a folder
    to it from some other drive.

>My last question has to do with folder duplication.  In WHS v1, there was an option to click for folder duplication.  HP states that if one of the non system drives fail, then you simply pull it out and replace it with a new one while powered on.  Will I have this capability with VHS v2?

That also went away with DE.  You now need to use backup drives and
    backups to back up the data.

• Marked as answer by 1strail Sunday, March 27, 2011 8:23 PM
    Saturday, March 26, 2011 7:53 PM
  • Thats kinda what I thought.  So if one of the added drives fails, assumining I have it backed up, I shuld still be able to hot swap it, but I would have to mannually format it and restore the data.  RIght?

Thanks for your help!

Saturday, March 26, 2011 8:35 PM
  • I guess the other thing I can do for redundacy would be to set up a raid array.
    Saturday, March 26, 2011 8:52 PM
  • >Thats kinda what I thought.  So if one of the added drives fails, assumining I have it backed up, I shuld still be able to hot swap it, but I would have to mannually format it and restore the data.  RIght?

Not hot swap, but replace the drive and restore it like you say. Hot
    swap is where you replace the drive without taking the machine down
    and it rebuilds everything for you...

Saturday, March 26, 2011 10:03 PM
  • >I guess the other thing I can do for redundacy would be to set up a raid array.

Yep, you could do that.

Saturday, March 26, 2011 10:05 PM