WHS Restore gives 'network error' after ~ 5 minutes of restoring RRS feed

• Question

• Help.

My HD crashed so replaced the 120 GB with a 320 GB. Used a wired connection to WHS. Restore starts then after abotu 5 minutes sends error 'a network error has occured',. So i search all the forums and google it. Try all the solutions i can find including :

1. Direct wire from computer to be restored to WHS

2. disconnect cable modem, unplus and rebout router, change the time setting on router to 1 day, etc,

3. Install a new network itnerface card

4. Install new drivers from realtek site including trying the wxp, vista, server drivers

5. switch network interface cards again

6. change network cable between router, WHS, computer to be restored, etc

7. Downloading a new version of WHS restore to cd and restoring from that

I am sure i have tried several others over the last week.

This has gone on for days and hours each day. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thursday, August 12, 2010 1:28 PM

All replies

• Hello celey,

To restore a computer using the Restore CD the process requires DHCP from your router. The Windows Home Server needs to be on the same subnet. Try checking your router’s configuration page to make sure the client you are restoring is getting an IP address.

You did not mention if your client computer is a 64 bit computer. The Windows Home Server Restore CD is 32 bit and you will need to use Vista 32 bit drivers. To resolve this issue, download the drivers from the Realtek site and then install them during the restore by using a USB flash drive following the steps outlined in KB  980866 .

I hope that helps, look forward to hearing back from you.

Courtney

Courtney Microsoft Windows Global Consumer Support
    Monday, August 16, 2010 4:51 PM
  • I am using 32 bit. I already downloaded the realtek drivers just to be sure that was no the issue.  I have restored in the past, so something has changed. The client I am restoring did obtain and IP address. I finally gave up and reloaded everything anew, minus of course the documents/etc that is lost. (So why do I have the homeserver?). Once I reloaded all, I could access the internet, the network, etc. So then i tried the client restore utility and made the new hardrive the slave. Still received the same eror 'unknown network error....'

This is quite frustrating.

Thank you for your help, hopefully i can find a way to get my files restored, and prevent someone from having to go through this in the future.

Monday, August 16, 2010 9:31 PM
  • Hello celey,

I would suggest that you boot the client to the currently installed version of Windows, insert the original network card, log on to the network and make sure that the latest drivers are installed for that card. Then connect to the original network that was used prior to having the problem, click Network from Windows Explorer to see if you can see the home server, If the home server is visible insert the Home Server restore CD, restore to the current HD without setting the new HD as the slave. You should restore from Home Server to the same system setup as the original system (IE, 2 partitions or drives, to 2 partitions or drives)

If this does not resolve the issue, we will need additional information:

·         What is the OS that you are trying to restore?

·         Did you format the new hard drive prior to running the restore CD?

·         Did you previously have multiple HD’s, multiple partitions? (the system to be restored to should have the same number of partitions when attempting to restore, )

·         Were you using RAID on the previous setup?

Courtney

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:08 PM
  • Well thanks for the input, but that didnt do it either. Same error message. To answer your questions,

• What is the OS that you are trying to restore? - XP Pro

·         Did you format the new hard drive prior to running the restore CD? - Yes, formatted

·         Did you previously have multiple HD’s, multiple partitions? (the system to be restored to should have the same number of partitions when attempting to restore, ) - I had two hard drives, which is same i am trying to restore to now, though only the new one is critical

·         Were you using RAID on the previous setup? - no

Appreciate any help. This has gone on for ~ 2 weeks now. Thank you,

Monday, August 23, 2010 2:15 AM
  • Hello Celey,

There have been similar posts that point to the DHCP lease expiry breaking the connection to the server from the client.

Since you are seeing the network error about 5 minutes into the restore the DHCP lease time may be expiring before the restore finishes. Try increasing the lease time and see if that does the trick. This setting can be changed from the router interface.

Another suggestion would be to get the ip address for both machines before running the restore. Then insert the restore cd to boot up to Windows Home Server and attempt to restore the backup. When it fails, get the ip address from both machines again to see if something changed. If you notice a change, set a static ip for the client.

If you have a second client PC with Windows Home Server Connector software installed and a free port to attach a hard disk from the first PC you can follow these steps provided by Olaf How to restore a client PC, if the network connection does not work in the CD based restore environment 

I hope this helps, look forward to hearing back from you.

Courtney

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 9:38 PM
  • Hello, I appreciate your diligence in replying. Unfortantely, i think everything has been tried. I have already set to a static IP, and have already tried toe client restore. I would be very happy to have a solution. This is exceedingly frustrating.
    • Proposed as answer by REHaw Wednesday, September 15, 2010 4:16 PM
    Saturday, August 28, 2010 3:35 AM