none
NNTP bridge: Moved messages have NntpMessageIndex=0! RRS feed

• Question

• If a moderator moves a message to an other forum the NntpMessageIndex of this article will be set to 0! This leads to problems on newsreaders, because this 0 index is not allowed!

Please be sure, you set the NntpMessageInex to the next free index on the target forum!!!

One example of this is here:

GROUP Msdn.en-US.vcgeneral
    ARTICLE <c2547336-aeb1-4260-b2a4-1ce9a0f60731>

Jochen Kalmbach (MVP VC++)
    Monday, June 7, 2010 1:08 PM

Answers

• Thanks for reporting this issue. The forums team is currently looking into this problem along with the other work on our plate. I'll reply back to this thread when I have more information to share about this problem. Thanks
    Community Forums Program Manager
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 4:15 PM
    Answerer
  • Our August 5th release should have addressed most of this problem. It was caused primarily by move threads breaking the target forum's index. So the target forum (the one the thread was moved to) would end up having an index/body offset by however many threads were moved to it.  The August 5th fix should have addressed this move scenario. There is still the possibility of split threads going to different forums causing havoc, we focussed on the move thread because it is more likely to happen than the other events.

Let me know if people continue to have problems. I would suggest resetting your caches to ensure you are starting out with client indexing that doesn't have this problem.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 10:06 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Have you reported this in the Bridge connection?  https://connect.microsoft.com/MicrosoftForums/Feedback

The bridge PM is aware of this but probably a good idea to ensure this is logged in the above location.

Monday, June 7, 2010 9:37 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks for pointing this out.... but I hope you have read THIS:

https://connect.microsoft.com/MicrosoftForums/content/content.aspx?ContentID=17326

And I hope that you are aware, that now the *WebForum* team is in charge of the web-service!

Jochen Kalmbach (MVP VC++)
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 2:33 PM
  • This condition creates a good deal of confusion and annoyance for the users, and makes it extremely difficult to follow threads when they are suddenly moved, or perhaps even deleted, on the forum end with nothing to indicate that the original message has been removed or moved or where to.  This is something that will make users less eager to use the forums at all.

Like many others, I am in hopes that the 'WebForum' team now in charge of the project will correct the situation soon.

Jan :)

Thursday, July 8, 2010 1:48 PM
  • As I have already reported, moving threads will result in a great chaos for NNTP users:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/de-DE/offtopicde/thread/20dce7d9-5777-4727-b795-bfea4e932984/#3573df7a-b4b2-4491-822f-feb2c7d004f1

Newsreaders will not show correct relations between subject of threads, names of posters and content of threads.

Lisa Wilke-Thissen
    [MS MVP Word]

Thursday, July 8, 2010 4:17 PM
  • Thanks for reporting this issue. The forums team is currently looking into this problem along with the other work on our plate. I'll reply back to this thread when I have more information to share about this problem. Thanks
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 4:15 PM
    Answerer
  • This issue cannot wait weeks or months for a resolution. Can you please "look" quicker? Thanks.
    IEFAQ: http://iefaq.info Newsgroup: microsoft.public.de.internetexplorer
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 12:15 PM
  • +1

The whole message number fiasco is the number one problem for the NNTP bridge. Since Jochen Kalmbach's version of the bridge has effectively rendered the Microsoft ones obsolete, all that Microsoft needs to do is make sure that the web service operates in a sensible and bug-free manner, and does not get broken by changes in the forum software.

Is this really too much to ask?

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 4:15 PM
  • Our August 5th release should have addressed most of this problem. It was caused primarily by move threads breaking the target forum's index. So the target forum (the one the thread was moved to) would end up having an index/body offset by however many threads were moved to it.  The August 5th fix should have addressed this move scenario. There is still the possibility of split threads going to different forums causing havoc, we focussed on the move thread because it is more likely to happen than the other events.

Let me know if people continue to have problems. I would suggest resetting your caches to ensure you are starting out with client indexing that doesn't have this problem.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 10:06 PM
    Answerer