IP and USB Phone Experiences? RRS feed

• Question

• We are looking to purchase some IP phones and some USB phones for an OCS 2007 implementation. I have seen a few posts but not too comments about phones they really liked. Has anybody had any good experiences that they would like to share and which phones it was with?

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 9:56 PM

All replies

• The first place to start is the partner certified devices as they have gone through extensive work to provide an optimal experience -

http://www.microsoft.com/uc/pdgtrials/default.mspx

Now you asked for experiential data -

I am one of the remote users on my team and I have the GN 2000 USB headset and the sound quality is superb, in fact it is the device of choice for all my remote team members. Now for those team members in the corporate office they use a mix of the IP Phone with touch screen, USB Handset and the Polycom Speaker phone device. The IP Phone is a sexy device with the only real advantage of allowing sign-in to receive calls only and not require a workstation. The USB Handset is very functional because of the speaker phone and handset, the challenge is that many times people want the dialpad on that device. I admit that using this device for OC as my softphone results in a clumsy experience of doing the dialing transaction on the computer and switching to the handset. The Polycom speakerphone seems to be a device used by folks when they are testing multiple devices or tend to have meetings in conference rooms.

I have also used the Windows live cam with it's built in speaker and would only state you need to keep it about arms reach away from the PC speaker.

Friday, November 30, 2007 7:37 PM
  • I'm actually testing the LG-Nortel IP8502 Bluetooth headset that is designed specifically for OCS right now.  I just got it but will be blogging about it within the next week or so, I'll post my results on this thread if I remember Smile

The USB dongle is sweet, it has an LED Communicator logo that lights up green/red/yellow with your status

Friday, November 30, 2007 7:57 PM
  • We have had excellent results with a variety of wired and usb based headsets. So far we have not used any made specifically for Communicator but all the ones we have tried have worked just fine and users have been very happy. We are planning to try one or more of the Jabra and/or Plantronics headsets made just for Communications Server 2007.

One thing we have not had good luck with is Bluetooth headsets. We have users that wanted to use Bluetooth headsets so we purchased USB based Bluetooth radios for the PCs. The quality was great and even the functionality was fine when first used but whenever the Bluetooth headset went to sleep or was turned off it required unplugging and replugging back in the USB Bluetooth radio before the headset would work with communicator again. Interesting it still showed up as a choice but when you went through the audio/video tuning wizard you could not hear and the mic didn't pick up anything until you un/re plugged in the USB dongle.

We have a Polycom CX700 we plan to setup soon as well.

Saturday, December 8, 2007 6:12 PM