Blocked VLK blocking installation of genuine Office RRS feed

• Question

• I have looked throughthe knowlage database and see that I have a similar problem to others, but still I am unable to rectify my problem. In my case I gave my computer to a service shop to sort out a hard disk problem and got it back working ok. Only later when I tried uploading upgrades, I experienced the message to say that my copy of Microsoft Office XP Proffesional 2003 is not genuine. I manly use the computer for music and photos, so now I am worried that I will have delete the whole HDD to sort out the problem.

I uninstalled the Office 2003 no problem and then tried to install the genuine copy of Microsoft Standard Edition 2003. I have uninstalled all Microsoft Office programs on mycomputer, then reinstalled Microsoft Office using the genuine Microsoft Office installation CD and Product Key, but hit the problem that it does not recognise the new program and key due to a Blocked VLK. I have tried to use the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301 but the XP Proffessional programme does not appear in the list to clean.

I uninstalled office, downloaded and ran the  the free 30 day trial version of System Mechanic and run the PC Cleanup Wizard program: http://www.iolo.com/sm/7/std/download.aspx and then reinstall Office using the genuine CD and still has the old information.  Where is it getting its information?

Here is my diagnostics report:

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0066.0):

-----------------------------------------

WGA Data-->

Validation Status: Blocked VLK

Validation Code: 3

Online Validation Code: N/A

Cached Validation Code: N/A

Windows Product Key: *****-*****-JB6X6-XQF6J-2GCB2

Windows Product Key Hash: WfwQ5JNl4rzu3qUPZZDuNiYpcYE=

Windows Product ID: 55274-646-9686166-23962

Windows Product ID Type: 1

Windows License Type: Volume

Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro

CSVLK Server: N/A

CSVLK PID: N/A

ID: {61B4A465-E6A6-4B25-A3D6-0DA436139075}(3)

Is Admin: Yes

TestCab: 0x0

WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.59.1

Signed By: Microsoft

Product Name: N/A

Architecture: N/A

Build lab: N/A

TTS Error: N/A

Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1

Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->

Cached Result: N/A

File Exists: No

Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->

Office Status: 100 Genuine

OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002

Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-2989-80070002_B4D0AA8B-531-645_025D1FF3-171-1_3E121E02-409-80004005_3E121E02-300-80004005

Browser Data-->

Proxy settings: N/A

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)

Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt

Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled

Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed

Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled

Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled

Active scripting: Allowed

Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{61B4A465-E6A6-4B25-A3D6-0DA436139075}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0066.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-2GCB2</PKey><PID>55274-646-9686166-23962</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-861567501-1454471165-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>INTEL_</Manufacturer><Model>D945PSN_</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Intel Corp.</Manufacturer><Version>SN94510J.86A.0065.2006.0116.1603</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20060116000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>7E1E34870184E06C</HWID><UserLCID>0426</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>FLE Standard Time(GMT+02:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><BRT/></MachineData> <Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91120409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>38AC8DFA83DB076</Val><Hash>f1bOYd3Eb0ZOUywL8FMKZXURrBM=</Hash><Pid>70141-059-2232363-56950</Pid><PidType>1</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults>

Look forward to your response,

Sunday, January 20, 2008 11:00 AM

Answers

• Roland,

Thank you for posting your diagnostic information. Diagnostic results help our team in determining the root cause of your issue. We are sorry to hear about the problem your currently experiencing. I can see right away what the issue is and why you are not passing validation.  Unfortunately, the product key used to install Windows XP Professional is a Volume License Key (VLK) that has been blocked per the request of the legal VLK holder.  As a rule, VLK editions of either an Operating System and/or Office should not be sold to individual consumers. Businesses, schools and governments normally use VLK editions for flexibility in installing many computers. Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP and MS Office are Upgrade licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer.

If you want to keep Windows XP Pro installed on the computer, then your best option is to participate in the Genuine Windows Offer and purchase a WGA Kit for $149 USD.  You will be emailed a Product Key that can be used immediately for your currently non- genuine installation of XP Pro, and then about 2-3 weeks later you will receive a genuine Microsoft Windows XP Pro full retail CD and COA, which you can use to do a clean installation (recommended).  Also please review the Validation Advisor for further guidance at:

https://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/ValidationHelp.aspx

First, if this comes as a total surprise to you, please visit the retailer where you purchased the computer and/or the Office Suite and let them know it is a counterfeit copy.  Please print a copy of the diagnostic report so you may show them proof for the VLK status. Request they immediately reimburse you and/or provide a Genuine Copy.

Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) is here to help protect YOU, our valued customer. It is important for more people like you to report piracy @ http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/default.mspx  who have become victims. Reporting piracy will assist in stopping unscrupulous business practices.  Microsoft legal will follow up on all leads provided.  Submitting piracy reports will assist in stopping unscrupulous business practices.  We CANNOT determine the "Quality" level of non-Genuine submissions and cannot guarantee such a thing here on the forum. You may be eligible for free software if you have high quality counterfeit discs as illustrated here:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/content.aspx?displaylang=en&pg=counterfeit

Again, we are sorry to hear about your situation. Please be sure to backup or otherwise offload any data from the hard disk because a clean installation/reimaging will destroy all personal user data on the hard drive. Please don't hesitate re-posting if you need further assistance.  

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Monday, January 21, 2008 6:08 PM

All replies

• Roland,

Thank you for posting your diagnostic information. Diagnostic results help our team in determining the root cause of your issue. We are sorry to hear about the problem your currently experiencing. I can see right away what the issue is and why you are not passing validation.  Unfortunately, the product key used to install Windows XP Professional is a Volume License Key (VLK) that has been blocked per the request of the legal VLK holder.  As a rule, VLK editions of either an Operating System and/or Office should not be sold to individual consumers. Businesses, schools and governments normally use VLK editions for flexibility in installing many computers. Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP and MS Office are Upgrade licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer.

If you want to keep Windows XP Pro installed on the computer, then your best option is to participate in the Genuine Windows Offer and purchase a WGA Kit for $149 USD.  You will be emailed a Product Key that can be used immediately for your currently non- genuine installation of XP Pro, and then about 2-3 weeks later you will receive a genuine Microsoft Windows XP Pro full retail CD and COA, which you can use to do a clean installation (recommended).  Also please review the Validation Advisor for further guidance at:

https://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/ValidationHelp.aspx

First, if this comes as a total surprise to you, please visit the retailer where you purchased the computer and/or the Office Suite and let them know it is a counterfeit copy.  Please print a copy of the diagnostic report so you may show them proof for the VLK status. Request they immediately reimburse you and/or provide a Genuine Copy.

Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) is here to help protect YOU, our valued customer. It is important for more people like you to report piracy @ http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/default.mspx  who have become victims. Reporting piracy will assist in stopping unscrupulous business practices.  Microsoft legal will follow up on all leads provided.  Submitting piracy reports will assist in stopping unscrupulous business practices.  We CANNOT determine the "Quality" level of non-Genuine submissions and cannot guarantee such a thing here on the forum. You may be eligible for free software if you have high quality counterfeit discs as illustrated here:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/content.aspx?displaylang=en&pg=counterfeit

Again, we are sorry to hear about your situation. Please be sure to backup or otherwise offload any data from the hard disk because a clean installation/reimaging will destroy all personal user data on the hard drive. Please don't hesitate re-posting if you need further assistance.  

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Monday, January 21, 2008 6:08 PM
  • Thank you for your response. The computer is mainly used for music (Cuebase), Film (Pinnacle) teaching and does not require Windows XP Office Proffessional. The problem of the VLK occurred when "good people" cleaned a problem HD and instead of loading the valid Office programme we had, they cut corners and installed their version. We did not notice the problem until we tried to aquire updates. This is the root of the problem where the VLK Blockage occurred and not wanting to give the computer back to servicing again, we lived with it.

Recently, we purchaed a new portable DELL computer and installed for teaching / student purposes the basic Office edition that you can see in the diagnostics results. We had no problems and everything works fine with this computer. Then, as it clearly states that can be used for up to 3 computers, I tried loading it on this computer to replace the problem Windows XP Office Proffessional programe. This where I came unstuck. Surely, you cannot be saying that the Office Student and Teacher Edition 2003 is just for one computer?

Monday, January 21, 2008 8:57 PM
  • Hello RolandsB,

The issue is not with your Office Suite (Which is genuine) but your currently installed operating system Windows XP which was installed using a blocked VLK.  Can you please reference the license for Windows XP Professional and tell me if these numbers match the last 15 digits on your COA sticker: JB6X6-XQF6J-2GCB2?

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Monday, January 21, 2008 10:26 PM
  • Dear Matt,

OK I will get all the details and come back to you.

If you say that it is not an Office issue, but operating system issue, please could you tell me what is the best operating system I should have for running Cuebase, Pinnacle and basic Office? What is the difference between the proffessional and standars XP operating system?

Thanks for your assistance.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 9:10 AM
  • Hello RolandsB,

Please reference the following website to compare the different features of Windows XP Pro & Home: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx .  There is no best operating system between the two to run the applications you need, only different features available to you for the Operating System that you choose.

Thank you,

Matt

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 4:08 PM
  • I cannot find any disc with this number on it and am slightly confused. Surely upon purchase of the computer I should have had a pre-instaled operating system and further from their it is my own choice, which programms to instal. I can only find my intel disks and Office disc, but cannot see any operating system disc. Maybe the retailer has forgotten to give me this? If I understand correctly I have to go back to the source where the computer was purchased to find out about the operating system that was installed. Am I correct?

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 6:08 PM
  • Hello RolandsB,

Typically with name brand computers such as Dell/Gateway/HP etc there will be a sticker attached to the computer tower itself which will look like this: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/content.aspx?displaylang=en&pg=coa .  If you do not have this sticker and your computer came preinstalled with Windows then you are correct that you will need to contact the Manufacturer/store where you purchased your system from.

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 6:16 PM