Best Practice for Contacts at Partners RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, apologies, but I'm a noob at Dynamics, so please bear with me... :)

We have customers that are represented by accounts and contacts that belong to those accounts. That's the easy bit for me. :)

But, we also have partnership companies that effectively subcontract the customer to us. So, we might, for example, have a partnership company called "PartnersRUs" and a contact there called "Pete". Pete has a customer called "Acme" with a contact called "Alan". Pete asks us to do some work for Alan. So, we have a Contact called Alan associated with the account Acme.

But, if I add Pete as another contact for Acme (because we like to know that Pete is "associated with" Acme), it changes Pete to actually work for Acme! Pete works for PartnersRUs, so what is the best practice way to handle this? I read about Connections and N to N relationships and I'm happy to learn about them, but what do other people do in this kind of situation?

TIA

• Edited by M.a.r.k.T. _ Thursday, September 15, 2016 6:14 PM
    Thursday, September 15, 2016 6:13 PM

Answers

• Best way is to create a connection role and use it to connect Pete and Acme with appropriate Role (e.g. Sales Person, Account Manager, Etc), this is because if you create N:N relationship in native way you may not be able to define the Role of Pete in Acme's business to your company. Connections work perfectly for this scenario and connection roles are solution Aware i suppose so it will migrate with Solution.

Thanks

If my response answered your question, please "mark the response as an answer" and also "vote as helpful". Regards, Hari. www.crm2011byhari.blogspot.com

• Marked as answer by M.a.r.k.T. _ Friday, September 16, 2016 9:34 AM
    Friday, September 16, 2016 4:48 AM

All replies

• Best way is to create a connection role and use it to connect Pete and Acme with appropriate Role (e.g. Sales Person, Account Manager, Etc), this is because if you create N:N relationship in native way you may not be able to define the Role of Pete in Acme's business to your company. Connections work perfectly for this scenario and connection roles are solution Aware i suppose so it will migrate with Solution.

Thanks

If my response answered your question, please "mark the response as an answer" and also "vote as helpful". Regards, Hari. www.crm2011byhari.blogspot.com

• Marked as answer by M.a.r.k.T. _ Friday, September 16, 2016 9:34 AM
    Friday, September 16, 2016 4:48 AM
  • Thank you very much for the reply - that's exactly the high quality answer I was looking for. Connection it is then. :)

Friday, September 16, 2016 9:34 AM