Windows7 RC to XP Pro - firewire network? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi
    I am currently running Windows 7 RC Build 7057 (The one with the Shares to XP problem) on my gaming PC
    I use to have Vista Home Premuim on it.
    On my server PC I am running Windows XP PRO SP3.
    Under Vista I used to Link my sever via Firewire to my Gaming PC and then use ethernet cable from the server to the other pc's, it worked 100%
    (Firewire might be slower than CAT5E on Gigabit but I needed bandwith , not speed , to it)
    Under this RC build Firewire for normal use works but its not active for networking yet.

Why can’t I set up a network using IEEE 1394?

[This content is preliminary and subject to change.]

This version of Windows does not support using IEEE 1394 (also known as FireWire, i.Link, or Lynx) for networking. If you were using IEEE 1394 for networking, consider changing to an Ethernet or wireless network.
    I have seen there are a few command that can be used to try and set it up for testing purpose.
    Anyone been able to get it to work via these commands and HOW.

I VNC most of the other PCs.
    I am currently running Via CAT5E but noticing thruput problems, 4 VNC's at 1 time is a problem.

Tuesday, September 1, 2009 8:34 PM

Answers

• I don't really get your desire to firewire (no pun intended). Where is firewire currently providing more bandwidth than Gigabit Ethernet?

I suggest taking this to another forum, as this is the Windows Home Server forum
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 10:48 PM
  • Hi
    I am currently running Windows 7 RC Build 7057 (The one with the Shares to XP problem) on my gaming PC
    Under Vista I used to Link my sever via Firewire to my Gaming PC and then use ethernet cable from the server to the other pc's, it worked 100%
    (Firewire might be slower than CAT5E on Gigabit but I needed bandwith , not speed , to it)
    Under this RC build Firewire for normal use works but its not active for networking yet.

This version of Windows does not support using IEEE 1394 (also known as FireWire, i.Link, or Lynx) for networking. If you were using IEEE 1394 for networking, consider changing to an Ethernet or wireless network.I have seen there are a few command that can be used to try and set it up for testing purpose.

I am currently running Via CAT5E but noticing thruput problems, 4 VNC's at 1 time is a problem.

As Evaders99 said, this is the Windows Home Server forum.  You should post your question in the Win7 forums.  Having said that, it might be because version of 7 is pre-RC.
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 4:42 AM

All replies

• I don't really get your desire to firewire (no pun intended). Where is firewire currently providing more bandwidth than Gigabit Ethernet?

I suggest taking this to another forum, as this is the Windows Home Server forum
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 10:48 PM
  • Hi

This version of Windows does not support using IEEE 1394 (also known as FireWire, i.Link, or Lynx) for networking. If you were using IEEE 1394 for networking, consider changing to an Ethernet or wireless network.I have seen there are a few command that can be used to try and set it up for testing purpose.

As Evaders99 said, this is the Windows Home Server forum.  You should post your question in the Win7 forums.  Having said that, it might be because version of 7 is pre-RC.
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 4:42 AM