Business Units or Multi-Tenancy RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

We are a Dynamics AX partner and we plan to use Dynamics CRM within our organisation especially to track presales and marketing activities. We have 2 main organisations within our company; having different products, accounts,employees but using similar processes. Furthermore, there are some common resources.

During the analysing phase, i couldn't be sure that if we need to implement these 2 organisations with multi-tenancy or with different business units in the same company account.

Do you have any best practices about choosing multi-tenancy or different business units - about advantages and disadvantages of either?

It would also be great if you could direct me to related documentation.

Regards,

Burak Erman

Monday, June 28, 2010 2:20 PM

Answers

• Hi Burak, choosing whether to use a single CRM system with distinct business units, or separate CRM systems is an important decision. Many factors will play a part in deciding which option is best for your company: security, reporting, resource management, business process similarities and differences, local laws/regulations, etc. And the pain (i.e. cost and effort) of changing your mind later could be significant (although generally it would easier to split rather than combine systems).

The clincher for me is often this: a single user can only connect to a single CRM system using Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook, so a user cannot track email or appointments in different CRM systems.

If I were you, I would engage with a local, experienced CRM partner. I'm sure your company already has lots of good technical people around, but CRM experience will save you a lot of money and time during your implementation project. I'm sure you'd never recommend that one of your customers implements AX without expert help, not matter how technical they are; it's the same with CRM.

Regards, Neil

Neil Benson, CRM Addict at Customery Ltd.You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter, and you're welcome to sign up to Customery, an online community for UK-based Dynamics CRM people.

• Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Monday, June 28, 2010 3:14 PM
    Monday, June 28, 2010 3:09 PM

All replies