Backup of WHS shares RRS feed

• Question

• I use an external sata drive to backup my shares and take off site for storage.  I wonder how more than 1 hard drive can be used so one is always off site but have whs know how to backup only the data that was not backed up the last time.  I commonly do this once a week and at least once a month do a full backup.  Where is the info stored that contains the server backup info.  The only possible file I see is the whsarchiveconfig.dat but it does not seem to really contain any information.  I also have daily online backup and mainly use the external for large files like ripped dvds.
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 7:29 PM

All replies

• The backup drives contain the data. Why would you need anything other than the most recent backup(s)?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 8:44 PM
  • You can do that disk swapping without problem.
    The backups on the external disks are always differential, consisting out of the initial backup to that disk and changes.
    Even if each backup folder looks like a complete copy of the backed up shared folders, they hold only hard links for files, which have not changed for subsequent backups. If you delete one backup, you delete only the tombstone, the real file will only be deleted, if no instance of this file is on any other backup any more.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 8:47 PM
  • What if the backup drive is replaced with another drive due to failure or something else? How do you tell WHS to intiate a full backup of the server?
    Monday, March 21, 2011 7:14 PM
  • A new disk added as backup drive to the storage pool will always be treated, as if never a backup has been done before. So the first backup contains all data you select.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 8:53 AM