13.5TB Raid Array in WHS RRS feed

• Question

• So, I just installed WHS on my machine, with an 11x1.5TB drive Raid 6 array.

I was expecting to repartition this super drive into 1.5TB drives for WHS to work with, but now it shows up in the storage thing as a single drive with 13.5TB of space, that seems to be working.

Will this work but then end up not working once there are over 2TBs worth of info on it?

Any info about this would be great.
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 1:45 AM

All replies

• The RAID will be treated as one physical drive, and there is nothing you can do with WHS to use it that way, since Windows Home Server does not support GPT and only uses one volume per disk.
    So your only option to use this configuration with Windows Home Server would be to unbind the disks from RAID and offer them as single disks, dependend from the capabilities of your RAID controller.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 8:57 AM
  • The RAID will be treated as one physical drive, and there is nothing you can do with WHS to use it that way, since Windows Home Server does not support GPT and only uses one volume per disk.
    So your only option to use this configuration with Windows Home Server would be to unbind the disks from RAID and offer them as single disks, dependend from the capabilities of your RAID controller.
    Olaf
    This is what I originally thought, but I had previously talked to Ken about this and he informed me that I could create multiple volumes in my single physical disk.

I always hear about a 'workaround' for using raid within WHS, but can't seem to find any information on this.

Obviously if this doesn't work I will just be switching to Windows Server or a similar environment, unfortunately.
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 12:08 PM
  • I think he means creation of volumes using the RAID controller. So if you create several logical RAID volumes with 2 TB each, these will be different volumes for WHS as well.
    But I would not be sure, if that makes really sense with such big disks.
    Olaf
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 1:40 PM
  • Do you know how one would go about this? I have no idea what is meant, the only way to deal with volumes I know of is through something like the disk management in windows.
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 3:45 PM
  • I think he means creation of volumes using the RAID controller. So if you create several logical RAID volumes with 2 TB each, these will be different volumes for WHS as well.
    This...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 7:01 PM
    This...
    I understand "that" but when I do this within the disk management system, WHS only sees one disk.

Anyway, I gave up, and installed Windows Server 2008.

Now I am just looking for tools to replicate the functions of WHS...
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 7:14 PM
  • Tools to replicate the features of Windows Home Server don't exist.

As for "This", you define the volumes using your RAID HBA BIOS setup utility. Probably something like "Press Ctrl-F" during your boot sequence. I assumed if you're using RAID in defiance of the "WHS doesn't support RAID" statements scattered liberally throughout the forums you had some familiarity with your hardware and RAID concepts in general.

Wednesday, September 23, 2009 7:22 PM
  • Tools to replicate the features of Windows Home Server don't exist.

As for "This", you define the volumes using your RAID HBA BIOS setup utility. Probably something like "Press Ctrl-F" during your boot sequence. I assumed if you're using RAID in defiance of the "WHS doesn't support RAID" statements scattered liberally throughout the forums you had some familiarity with your hardware and RAID concepts in general.

I have done this but it only has access to the  Array management. I see nothing that involves the volumes, etc.

Am I missing something or is my controller's software just not advanced enough for this?
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 8:32 PM
  • The only software that I've seen that has some of the WHS storage pool functionality is Unraid. Just to help you out there
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 12:05 AM
  • The only software that I've seen that has some of the WHS storage pool functionality is Unraid. Just to help you out there
    I was trying to focus on the functionality beyond the storage itself. I have that covered with a single very large drive/array :)
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 12:10 AM