Corrupt Money File any answers please RRS feed

• Question

•   

Corrupt Money File any answers please

I have a Microsoft Money File which states: 'Money has detected that you did not close the file before exiting. Money needs  to verify the information in your file. If your file is large this may take a few minutes. Do you want to do this now?' It gives the yes or no option, but when I click yes it brings up a dialogue box: 'File is corrupted or is not a money data file. Money has tried to repair this file but failed. You will need to open your most recent back up file to access your data'. (unfortunately I don't have a back up file) any ideas please?
    It has worked perfectly to date.
    Saturday, June 1, 2013 11:19 AM

All replies

• If you really don't have a backup file then you are in a very difficult position.  There is a slim possibility that there really is a backup because some versions of Money automatically make a backup.  Try searching your files for for files with a mbf extension.

If you are not sure how to do the search, post back with your version of Money and the version of your Window operating system.

Bill Becker

Saturday, June 1, 2013 6:40 PM
  •  

Hi Bill 

I have Money 2002, please can you tell me how to do the search,  I have tried but not sure I have done it right. I am currently on Windows 7 premium.

Thanks

Capitanos

Sunday, June 2, 2013 10:57 PM
  • Windows 7 has a a search capability but it's a bit clumsy to use.  Here's what to do:

- At the  Windows desktop, click on Start and type mbf in the box that has "Search Programs and Files". 

- If this finds an mbf file (probably named "My Money Backup.mbf") then right click on it and choose "Open File Location" from the dropdown menu.

- Make a note of the folder that contains the file, and before you do anything further, copy the file to a flash drive or DVD so you know it's backed up.

If you see "No items match you search", then you need to look in more detail

- Look at the left-hand pane of the search results window for Computer and click on the C: drive.  It may be Main (C:) or some other name.

- Then, click in the upper right box that has "Search C: drive" and choose mbf.  This will do a more thorough search of the entire drive.

- Again, if you find an mbf file, back it up immediately.

- If this finds nothing, do the same search for any additional drives that appear in the left pane.

If you have found the mbf file and backed it up, double-click on it file to open it with MSMoney.  When MSMoney asks for a name for the recovered file, name it something like "Recovered Money.mny" and save it to your Documents folder. 

If this is not successful, there is one further possibility.  Windows 7 will keep keep previous versions of files if that capability has been enabled.  Right click on your current MyMoney.mny folder and choose "Properties" from the dropdown.  Click on the "Previous Versions" tab and see if Windows has been saving previous versions of your file.  If so, click on the most recent one and select copy.  Put it in your Documents folder and, again, immediately back it up.   Then try opening it with MSMoney.

Let us know how you make out.

Bill Becker

Monday, June 3, 2013 1:40 AM