Unable to save *.mny file, so always need to use a backup to get into Money RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have forgotten how to 'open' a new question, so place it here.

MS Money is still a very useful tool.

My backups work very well.  However, I must always seek the latest backup file in my pc to restore it.  This is fine, but how do I save that then-opened file as a file, and not just a backup.  I could then save a shortcut to this latest file.  At present, when I close MS Money, it is always as a backup, not a file, so if I save a shortcut directed to it, the shortcut is tethered to that one 'save', and not subsequent ones.  I always must search my computer for the last backup instead.

For at the moment I cannot save a shortcut to my MS Money, because that shortcut rapidly opens an old money file.

Clive.

Saturday, August 17, 2019 12:29 PM

All replies

• Which version of Money running under which operating system?
    Saturday, August 17, 2019 2:05 PM
  • 1. To start a new thread, click Ask A Question near the upper left. I split the thread to make this its own thread.

2. It is important that your Money (*.mny) be in a place that you can readily write. You are not allowed to write within the "\Program files" or "\Program files ( x86)" folder. If you do so, Money will write instead to the Virtual Store -- a mechanism that was put in place to allow some older programs to still work after the Program Files became protected. https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f552ca1b-f8ee-4cee-93ac-134aff2bb94d/money-plus-premium-password-wont-work-after-installing-on-new-computer?forum=money discusses some things about that. https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/5fcbf001-1a5b-421e-88f1-b38f24106112/where-is-my-ms-money-data-hiding?forum=money has some discussions of how to find where the *.mny file went.

3. The best place for most people to put their *.mny file is into their Documents folder. The easiest way to do that for you is the next time that you restore, do  not accept the default location to restore to.  Instead, Browse to your "Documents" and  specify a filename that does not yet exist there. When you save, the modified file should be saved in the Documents folder or a subfolder in Documents.

4. I think you are running Microsoft Money 2005 UK. That only saves one vintage of backup, so it is important to take actions so that you have more vintages of backup. The reasons include that an anomaly that develops could be stored in your new backup as well as your Money file. You don't want to overwrite your only good backup.

Saturday, August 17, 2019 2:30 PM