Login Issues on Remote Access website RRS feed

• Question

•  

One of the reasons we got a Windows Home Server, was so my mom could use it to remotely access her laptop at home from the office.  Our server has two user accounts which are enabled to use remote access (mine and my mother's).  For the most part, this works great and there are no issues.  However, twice now I have had to delete my mother's user account and re-create it in order for her to logon to the remote access site.  Essentially, when you go to the remote access site for the server, it says that her user name and/or password are incorrect (but they are correct).  I am able to log in under my name no problem.  Then, I connect to the server and it shows that she is enabled as a remote access user.  If I change the password and retry the login under her name, it still doesn't work.  The only workaround I've found is to delete and recreate her user account and then it works just fine.  Any suggestions on what might be happening / solutions to this issue?

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 11:32 PM

Answers

•  andy-tony wrote:
    One of the reasons we got a Windows Home Server, was so my mom could use it to remotely access her laptop at home from the office.  Our server has two user accounts which are enabled to use remote access (mine and my mother's).  For the most part, this works great and there are no issues.  However, twice now I have had to delete my mother's user account and re-create it in order for her to logon to the remote access site.  Essentially, when you go to the remote access site for the server, it says that her user name and/or password are incorrect (but they are correct).  I am able to log in under my name no problem.  Then, I connect to the server and it shows that she is enabled as a remote access user.  If I change the password and retry the login under her name, it still doesn't work.  The only workaround I've found is to delete and recreate her user account and then it works just fine.  Any suggestions on what might be happening / solutions to this issue?

The only other possibility that I can think of is her account is getting locked out.  When an account gets locked out, it shows as wrong name/password through Remote Access.  When she is at home (inside the LAN), does she have any problems connecting to the server shares?  Like having to put in a password after every reboot of her laptop (or any other odd password behavior)?

The reason I ask is I can only think of 1 possibility that would cause her account to get locked out: something (or someone) is trying to connect to the server using her user account, but has the wrong password.  If it's something (like her laptop trying to automatically connect to the server), that's easy enough to fix.  However, if it's someone, well......that's obviously not good.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 12:13 AM
  •  andy-tony wrote:
    OK, thanks.  I will see if the issue is that her account is being locked if this happens again.  Is it a 30 minute reset period?

Yes, the default is 30 minutes.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 4:41 PM

All replies

•  andy-tony wrote:

The only other possibility that I can think of is her account is getting locked out.  When an account gets locked out, it shows as wrong name/password through Remote Access.  When she is at home (inside the LAN), does she have any problems connecting to the server shares?  Like having to put in a password after every reboot of her laptop (or any other odd password behavior)?

The reason I ask is I can only think of 1 possibility that would cause her account to get locked out: something (or someone) is trying to connect to the server using her user account, but has the wrong password.  If it's something (like her laptop trying to automatically connect to the server), that's easy enough to fix.  However, if it's someone, well......that's obviously not good.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 12:13 AM
  • OK, thanks.  I will see if the issue is that her account is being locked if this happens again.  Is it a 30 minute reset period?

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 3:57 PM
  •  andy-tony wrote:
    OK, thanks.  I will see if the issue is that her account is being locked if this happens again.  Is it a 30 minute reset period?

Yes, the default is 30 minutes.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 4:41 PM
  •  

That's it.  It's locking her out when she is unable to log out successfully after disconnecting from her remote session.  I'll figure out what's going on there, but this issue is solved.  Thanks for the help!
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008 8:55 PM
  •  andy-tony wrote:
    That's it.  It's locking her out when she is unable to log out successfully after disconnecting from her remote session.  I'll figure out what's going on there, but this issue is solved.  Thanks for the help!

One more thought: Is she selecting Log Off (on the client PC) or is just clicking Disconnect (in the upper left corner of the IE window)?

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 9:20 PM