DNS DHCP on WHS install problem RRS feed

• Question

• I am attempting to install on my WHS DNS, and DHCP. I goto add remove components and add them in, during the install it asks for a service pack 2 cd. The cd i purchased is not a service pack 2 cd. It has power pack 1 on it. It is looking for dnsmgr.dll.  Any ideas where i can find the files this is looking for. Thanks!!
    Friday, June 5, 2009 8:45 PM

Answers

• I am attempting to install on my WHS DNS, and DHCP. I goto add remove components and add them in, during the install it asks for a service pack 2 cd. The cd i purchased is not a service pack 2 cd. It has power pack 1 on it. It is looking for dnsmgr.dll.  Any ideas where i can find the files this is looking for. Thanks!!
    Installing anything on WHS from the server desktop is unsupported and not recommended.  My recommendation is to let your router handle DNS/DHCP requests.
    Friday, June 5, 2009 11:48 PM
  • Kariya is correct that it's unsupported to use your server as a DNS or DHCP server. Using those components from Windows is also potentially a violation of the EULA, which prohibits enabling server roles that Microsoft doesn't enable out of the box.

That said, it can be done. Everything you need is on the installation disk. Just realize that you will proceed at your own risk, and if you aren't careful it's very possible that you will paint yourself into a corner that you'll need a server reinstallation to get out of.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 1:48 AM

All replies

Installing anything on WHS from the server desktop is unsupported and not recommended.  My recommendation is to let your router handle DNS/DHCP requests.
    Friday, June 5, 2009 11:48 PM
  • Kariya is correct that it's unsupported to use your server as a DNS or DHCP server. Using those components from Windows is also potentially a violation of the EULA, which prohibits enabling server roles that Microsoft doesn't enable out of the box.

That said, it can be done. Everything you need is on the installation disk. Just realize that you will proceed at your own risk, and if you aren't careful it's very possible that you will paint yourself into a corner that you'll need a server reinstallation to get out of.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 1:48 AM