Best practice for simple workflows - cancel or succeed? RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently started working at a new job with a CRM team that had been using Dynamics 2011 for some time.   When they create simple workflows they were told that it is a best practice to put in a step to instruct the workflow to cancel when a check condition step is not met.  

When I have created simple workflows in the past I have never added that cancel step.  I figure that when a check condition is not met the workflow stops there.   Any further steps are ignored and the workflow ends as a success.

Does anybody know if there any significant difference between the two methods in terms of overall load on the system?  In other words, is it cleaner to let the workflow end as a “success” or a make it end as a “cancel” when one of its check conditions is not met.

Friday, February 28, 2014 10:20 PM

All replies

• I, like you don't use the cancel status that often and not sure of the load on the system, but one possible benefit in setting the "stop workflow with Status", is to allows administrators/users to view the the progress and see which workflow completed successfully because it met all its conditions or canceled because the conditions are not met, You might want this distinct for reporting as well.

Eric UNG [Senior Analyst Programmer :: Sydney, Australia]

Saturday, March 1, 2014 3:59 AM