WHS Encrypted FIle Recovery RRS feed

• Question

• I've never had this problem before - I've always restored encrypted files just fine (either they're decrypted before they're copied to the WHS system, or they copy back over and I install the PFX key that unlocks them and they work) but not this time.  And of course, as luck would have it, I really need this file. 

The file is a simple text file, nothing super special about it except that for the properties of the file, I enabled encryption.  I have the correct PFX installed, but I still cannot access the file.  I also can't change the properties of the file since it's on the WHS system, and that location is write protected.

There's GOT to be a way for me to get access to this file!  I can't live without it (contains banking and personal information related to bills, etc) 

WHS is fully patched, has the latest power pack, and the destination system is likewise fully updated and trained up with WHS. 

The only discrepency here that I know of is that since WHS for whatever reason won't allow the same PC to take over backups on the WHS, there are two entries for my system in the WHS console.  The first one, is now greyed out because it was the old Windows install, and the new one, which is currently backed up (but doesn't have all of the data from the first restore)

To my knowledge, it isn't possible to import this PC into an existing backup set, or is there?  Maybe that would solve this particular issue? 

Sunday, December 11, 2011 4:51 PM

Answers

• Ran the recovery process and set up a Virtual Machine of my backup from the WHS and retrieved the file that way, seeing as how no other options I tried worked.  What a pain in the butt.  Encryption is overrated.  :P
    • Marked as answer by IndigoCO Tuesday, December 13, 2011 5:31 AM
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 5:31 AM

All replies

• Anyone?  Please, this is urgent.
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 2:06 AM
  • Have you tried copying the file from the backup to your local hard drive and decrypting it there?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 2:45 AM
  • If it were that easy, I wouldn't be asking. 

The dialog pops up the moment I try to copy it.  It's like it won't allow me access to the file, even though I have the correct PFX installed.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 3:02 AM

• And this is just to COPY the file from the WHS backup to my desktop.  I've tried it on other PCs as well, including one Windows XP system.  Doesn't matter, I can't "access" the file. 
    • Edited by IndigoCO Tuesday, December 13, 2011 3:04 AM
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 3:03 AM
  • Ran the recovery process and set up a Virtual Machine of my backup from the WHS and retrieved the file that way, seeing as how no other options I tried worked.  What a pain in the butt.  Encryption is overrated.  :P
    • Marked as answer by IndigoCO Tuesday, December 13, 2011 5:31 AM
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 5:31 AM