Vista KMS Activation Issues RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am having some great difficulty with Windows Vista activation.

I have a KMS key which I have put into several machines. Now all that comes up is that the key is already in use.

Should the clients ever have the key installed on them? or do they pick it up from the SRV record on the DNS?

If I have inadvertantly added the key to the clients is there any way of removing it so that they can activate?

is there any documentation on this other than the step by step guide? because i have done all of that to no avail

Thursday, August 2, 2007 1:18 PM

Answers

All replies

• Thursday, August 2, 2007 10:04 PM
  • You know, I have already tried that.

My issue seems to be that the KMS clients are attempting to activate over the internet rather than connecting to my kms server (as defined in DNS)
    Friday, August 3, 2007 9:07 AM
  •  

Joh:

Are you pressing "Activate Online Now" or pressing "Next" where you enter the IP address for the KMS?

Push next. Smile

-phil

Friday, August 3, 2007 8:30 PM
  • Let me follow up, as I went through much of the same, and am now at the point where this thread left off.

It sounds like the issue Johimself is having is related to installing the KMS key on the workstations.  That key (we discovered after we did the same thing) is only for the KMS key server or servers (there is a maximum number of installations for that key, 6 I believe).  You'll have to contact Microsoft to get the maximum raised so that you can install that key on the appropriate server.

When that is done, Johimself will probably be right back at the same point as this thread, right where we are now.

There is no "next" to enter the IP address for the KMS--our 25 (actually 26) installations are more than 30 days old (refer to the previously described issue) and we don't get that option at login.

What should we try next?  Reinstall Vista on all of the machines?  The auto-discover process doesn't appear to be functioning (hours and days go by with no machines connecting to the KMS server).

Thanks,

Scott

Monday, October 15, 2007 6:09 PM