WHS Setup crashes RRS feed

• Question

• I am attempting to install WHS and everything goes smoothly until it attempts to perform the actual install just after formatting my drive. I usually get a screen with colored lines going across. It reminds me of when video drivers fail. I believe my system is up to the minimum specs though my HDD could be a bit small. I had WinXp installed on this harddrive before but wiped it clean before proceeding with the install. Also, I tried to reinstall XP just to see if I could get something installed and it did the exact same thing to me. If I leave the computer go after the lines appear it will eventually reboot implying that there is still something happening. When it comes back up though there is a black screen. My HDD indicator LED is stuck solid as well. One other thing I noticed shortly after putting this PC together is a clicking noise (Click-click,click-click) coming from the machine. From my experience that usually indicates a problem with the hard drive but two separate HDD's have done it. The other was a 60 GB drive which as I found out is too small for WHS. I do have some other HDD's that I was planning to install later for storage and I am using onboard video. Does anyone have any thoughts?

System Specs:
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 2 GHz
    1 GB DDR2 800 SDRAM (Crucial Ballistix)
    Asus M2V-MX SE Motherboard VIAK8M890
    80.0 GB HDD (76.5 is what is seen) ATA IDE

Neogenesis3000
    Monday, October 27, 2008 2:23 PM

Answers

• Sorry it took so long to reply to this but I think I figured out what the issue was. It seems it was the HDD. I put a larger one in and it installed with no problem. Thanks for the help.
    Neogenesis3000
    • Marked as answer by Neogenesis3000 Sunday, September 6, 2009 12:36 PM
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 12:30 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What is the video card you are using? It's possible that it's having problems.
    Also, although 80GB is the recommended size, this is the absolute minimum and may seriously limit anything you do with the server. The consensus appears to be, that your system drive would be best served by being 350 to 500GB. The remaining space is, in effect, used as a 'landing point' for files being passed to the server, before being moved to their final location.
    Also, it could well be that the size of 76.5 is just under the minimum size for installation.

Just a thought, you are leacving the DVD in the drive through the reboot? It must remain in place until you get to the welcome screen.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Monday, October 27, 2008 2:38 PM
  • Sorry it took so long to reply to this but I think I figured out what the issue was. It seems it was the HDD. I put a larger one in and it installed with no problem. Thanks for the help.
    Neogenesis3000
    • Marked as answer by Neogenesis3000 Sunday, September 6, 2009 12:36 PM
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 12:30 PM