Archive or delete projects: Is it really possible? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I have a doubt: is really possibile delete o archive a project?

In theese months, we have tried to delete some projects, but it was never possible to eliminate projects from the published db without deleting many timesheets, losing data from the administrative times, too. Until now, we have delete projects and team member have entered data again, but this is very tedious!!
    The same problem occours with archiving, because one of the steps planned to unpublish the project.
    And a published project appaears in reporting database!!!

So, how can a project manager delete or archive a project without losing timesheet data?
    I think this is a big problem and I can not figure out how best to act: cancel the project and lose data or never cancel projects.

What do you think? Is this right? Is this a bug?
    Thank's for your opinions!!

Samantha

Thursday, January 27, 2011 9:57 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Samantha,

The Delete Enterprise Objects of Project Server 2007 / 2010 allows you to choose which items to delete. One of those options is to delete Projects on their own from the various databases (Draft & Published, Published only, Archive only). There is no need to delete the associated resources or timesheet entries as well. 

Hope this helps,

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    • Proposed as answer by Khurram Jamshed Thursday, January 27, 2011 12:12 PM
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 10:39 AM
  • HI Samantha,

you can follow this article to properly archive your projects without effecting any data related to it.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-server-help/archive-a-completed-project-HA102420489.aspx

Hope this helps.

| Khurram Jamshed | Follow my blog about Enterprise Project Management Solution | http://khurramjamshed.blogspot.com |
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 11:10 AM
  • Thank's Alex.

I did this test: I delete the published data of a project and then the draft data and the action don't fail! In the timesheet, the task of this project was disappeared, but the project is really deleted!

So, if I must delete a project I must delete the published first and then the draft and I can delete the published data in any time for archive a project... Is it right? Do I get it?

So, is this the solution?

Thursday, January 27, 2011 11:15 AM
  • Samantha, in the delete enterprise objects page you can choose the the object first to remove from the server(i.e. Projects, resources, timesheets). if you want to completely remove your project from the server, then delete it from published and draft first and if your Archiving is also enabled then select to remove from the archive database and delete them from the Archive.

One more important thing, always check the option of deleting the Project workspace along with the project. else it will become a problem when you try to create a project with the same name.

i hope this will help.

| Khurram Jamshed | Follow my blog about Enterprise Project Management Solution | http://khurramjamshed.blogspot.com |
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 12:18 PM
  • Hi Samantha,

why if you delete a project, resource must reinsert timesheet?

I add an idea. From what you write, it seems that the problem is not delete the project, but lost timesheets or other informations.

So, if the issue is hide some projects, you can not delete these projects and insert these in a category that you hide for all resources.

Again, you can use a custom field values for these projects to filter these projects for your reports from reporting database. 

Maybe this is not usefull for your purposs, but, i hope it can help you.

Best Regards

Paolo O.

Thursday, January 27, 2011 1:12 PM
  • Hi Paolo.

We eliminated projects that were unusable because of errors or because we realized that their creation was completely wrong and we had to re-create the projects. So, if we have not canceled projects we would had some duplicate. Yes, we can add a custom field, but then we wuold change all odc files for have clean reports... In addition, duplicates take space.

In this post a person have the same problem http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projectserver2010general/thread/0fc90c31-3994-4e86-96c7-870f78d11bcb and the only solution was delete timesheet.

However, the problem seems to occur only if cancel draft and published together.

Thursday, January 27, 2011 1:36 PM
  • Samantha:

Before you delete a project, you must make sure that there are no timesheets that are pending. If your timesheets are fully processed, this error will not occur.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Wednesday, February 2, 2011 3:13 PM
  • Hi Gary.

This condition can occurs easily... I notice that if a resoruce insert an administrative task in a future timesheet, in the timesheet appears all task not submitted, not compiled and awating to approval. For example if a resource set future vacancies. So, a task of a project may be in many timesheet.

So, it is impossibile delete a project...

I tryed to delete a project in dev instance and I have success; many timesheet was in progress or in approval state and all timesheet will be updated. I deleted first the published and then the draft. May have been a case: it was a dev instance and it was clean.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 5:19 PM
  • Samatha:

The timesheet would have to contain an update for the specific project to create this condition, so it's not as easy to create as you state.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 6:39 PM
  • In production, I can't even delete the published of a project if there are any timesheet.

I tried to disable all task and to delete all assignments and the project is not in my reports due to join and in Project Center, but I can't again delete the published.

This is very inefficient, because I can't free up space on the disk.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 10:39 AM