New Router cause no connection to WHS? RRS feed

• Question

• Just wanted to know if anyone can verify connecting a new router will cause whs to become "not connected to server" I cant even ping the server but i did notice that on all my client pc's that when i restared them I was prompted to pick Public Home or Private before i could connect to the network. Is the same thing happening in the server? Think its seeing the new router as a new network.
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 12:27 AM

Answers

• Yes, my new router is using all the same settings that my old router did same IP range, and all. The server has its own static ip 192.168.x.xxx as do all client pcs have there own reserved ip's also. The error i am seeing is on the WHS console when i put the password in and try to connect to it it says: This computer cannot connect to your home server. Check your network connection and make sure your home server is powered on. If your home server has recently restarted try again in a few minutes. (I can verify its on and running) As for the Discovery.exe Please wait while your home server is located. Then.... The wizard cannot find your home server. Make sure your home server is powered on and connected to the network (It is, about the only thing that is telling me it is connected is that its listed in the network list as a pc that is "online" but thats about it) If you have a standard network configuration choose search again and click next (I did with same result)
        Now what if there was a third party software firewall installed in the WHS could that mess things up (asking this because i dont know for sure it was set up by someone else and that person is not here.) seeing how all other computers in the house noticed my new router installation as a new network? May have to hook up monitor keyboard and mouse to see if this is the problem or not. Only saying this because I have an xpmachine all others are vista and that computer was exhibiting the exact same problem with a third party firewall installed on it untill i told it to allow network communications then all was fine.
    • Marked as answer by Jay12482001 Wednesday, March 4, 2009 11:24 PM
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 7:14 PM
  • Yup its a symantec firewall! So there is the problem. have to wait to reconfigure though dont have admin access LOL! Hope this information can be usful to others.
    • Marked as answer by Jay12482001 Wednesday, March 4, 2009 11:08 PM
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 11:08 PM

All replies

• Is the Workgroup name on router the same as other computers.
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 4:41 AM
  • Im not sure how do I check the router. I know my workgroup on all the computers I just dont know how to make sure the router has the same workgroup. Its a BEFSX41 Broadband Firewall router w/ vpn endpoint.
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 3:33 PM
  • Hi,

There is no reason why changing your router should have any detrimental effect. Your Server shouldn't see anything other than what you tell it, insofar as it doesn't have the 'Private/Public/Home' settings.
    How have you got the DHCP on the router set up, is it using the same range as your old router and does your Server have a reserved IP address.

Also, what actual errors are you seeing, can you connect to the Server through the Console, and if not, have you tried using 'Discovery.exe', in the Program Files/Windows Home Server folder of a Client. This will search your network for your Server and reset the connection.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 5:26 PM
  • Yes, my new router is using all the same settings that my old router did same IP range, and all. The server has its own static ip 192.168.x.xxx as do all client pcs have there own reserved ip's also. The error i am seeing is on the WHS console when i put the password in and try to connect to it it says: This computer cannot connect to your home server. Check your network connection and make sure your home server is powered on. If your home server has recently restarted try again in a few minutes. (I can verify its on and running) As for the Discovery.exe Please wait while your home server is located. Then.... The wizard cannot find your home server. Make sure your home server is powered on and connected to the network (It is, about the only thing that is telling me it is connected is that its listed in the network list as a pc that is "online" but thats about it) If you have a standard network configuration choose search again and click next (I did with same result)
        Now what if there was a third party software firewall installed in the WHS could that mess things up (asking this because i dont know for sure it was set up by someone else and that person is not here.) seeing how all other computers in the house noticed my new router installation as a new network? May have to hook up monitor keyboard and mouse to see if this is the problem or not. Only saying this because I have an xpmachine all others are vista and that computer was exhibiting the exact same problem with a third party firewall installed on it untill i told it to allow network communications then all was fine.
    • Marked as answer by Jay12482001 Wednesday, March 4, 2009 11:24 PM
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 7:14 PM
  • OK,

Generally there are no 3rd-Party firewalls certified for WHS, so if someone has done that, it could sure cause problems.
    It sounds as though you have the facility to connect up your Server, which could be a worthwhile step; otherwise using mstsc.exe (from the 'Run' box), should allow a Remote Desktop connection to the Server, but, just maybe that would be blocked as well.
    Personally, I would go with the keyboard etc as at least you have direct access.
    Also, have you worked through the Connector Troubleshooter document available here.

Colin
    If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 7:45 PM
  • I think this third party firewall is the problem as i got positive feedback that there was at least a firewall installed on all the machines (including the server) unclear though whether its windows firewall (which shouldent be causing a problem) or if there is a third party firewall. Ill let you know as soon as i find out.

Wednesday, March 4, 2009 8:10 PM
  • Jay,

OK, good luck. When you find out, let us know as it always helps for the future.

Colin

Wednesday, March 4, 2009 8:25 PM
  • Yup its a symantec firewall! So there is the problem. have to wait to reconfigure though dont have admin access LOL! Hope this information can be usful to others.
    • Marked as answer by Jay12482001 Wednesday, March 4, 2009 11:08 PM
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 11:08 PM