Folding @ Home on WHS ??? RRS feed

• Question

• hello, does anyone have any idea if we could expect to see either folding @ home or any other type of distributed processing being available for WHS ?
    It would be nice, giving the machine is running 24x7, mostly on iddle In my case so far, with the exception of the nightly back-ups and eventual music streaming, that I believe shouldn't be sucking on the processor that much anyways, as much as HardDrive speeds,...

well it is just a thought... I just think I could do better use of the maching giving it is up and running, even if that would mean the CPU running high all the time and using a bit more energy than on iddle, it would be for a good cause.

I miss those SETI @ home days, when I ran several machines for over 2 years... it was fun. too bad I didn't find any ET's. (at least no one told me that). cheers

Thursday, April 26, 2007 3:17 PM

Answers

• I can think of no reason why you couldn't install one or another distributed computing client on WHS. They are mostly designed to be very lightweight in terms of memory and disk requirements. And they get out of the way when other processes need to use the CPU.

Why not give it a try and see how it works?
    Thursday, April 26, 2007 3:33 PM

All replies

• I can think of no reason why you couldn't install one or another distributed computing client on WHS. They are mostly designed to be very lightweight in terms of memory and disk requirements. And they get out of the way when other processes need to use the CPU.

Why not give it a try and see how it works?
    Thursday, April 26, 2007 3:33 PM
  • I would guess you could, except the server has its own opportunistic idle tasks to perform, such as storage balancing.

If the CPU were pegged all the time, would this keep the server from doing its own housekeeping?
    Thursday, April 26, 2007 3:35 PM
  • thanks... to date I have not installed anything else on the server other than the OS itself...

the new version even has that new window for add-ons, or plug-ins available for installation, but mine is currently empty, and I haven't done any research on where/how/what can be installed, but it would certainly be nice to have a few tiny "gadgets" like running there.

Thursday, April 26, 2007 3:41 PM
  • I installed the BOINC client running SETI on Beta 2 with no problems.
    Thursday, April 26, 2007 5:36 PM
  • I've been running BIONC with seti@home and distributed.net on mine since i installed WHS over a month ago without any problems
    Thursday, April 26, 2007 11:21 PM
  • I've been running Folder@home on my box since the first install. Works fine, doesn't seem to slow down anything on the WHS, and it's a nice use of the otherwise wasted CPU cycles.
    Thursday, May 3, 2007 12:37 AM
  • I run malariacontrol.net, another Distributed Computing Program thru Boinc, and it runs just fine. I have a dual core pc and only use 1 core for Boinc though. I am getting decent performance and will double it after I add a case fan to the machine. Currently it has only the cpu fan and the side of the case is off. It is running warm but not hot.
    Thursday, May 3, 2007 1:44 AM
  • boinc is able to support the CPU throttle

via global_prefs_override.xml <cpu_usage_limit>85</cpu_usage_limit>

I think they implemented this into the GUI too.

Thursday, May 3, 2007 7:35 PM
  • Oh I am running it at 50% when the pc is in use and 90% after 3 minutes of idle time. I am just saying that with only a cpu fan I am only crunching with one core. When I finish building the pc I will put some more fans in and put the side on and add the 2nd core to the crunching. It is a brand new pc, only about 2 weeks old max, and I still have at least 1 hard drive to add in too.
    Friday, May 4, 2007 3:02 AM