Backing up Shared Folders taking forever RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone else experienced extremely slow backing up of the shared folders to an external hdd? I have been backing up 104gb to a drive for the last 8 hours and it is onlt at 78%. I did a manual copy using the server and the same drive and it backed them up in just over 1 hour.

Friday, June 13, 2008 1:36 PM

All replies

• Also I just noticed that my storage in the server is gradually going down whilst I am doing the backup to the external drive and I am now getting errors that my storage space is getting low.

Friday, June 13, 2008 1:46 PM
  • Can you please provide a little more details - what type of hard drive are you using, internal or external?  What is the make and model of the drive?  What errors, exact text strings, are you seeing?

If you believe you have found a bug, then please send fill out a bug form on Conneect and send the team your logs.

Friday, June 13, 2008 2:30 PM
  • I think we need to know more of your hardware, drive and space usage, etc.

Friday, June 13, 2008 2:31 PM
  • Sure, apologies for the lack of information to begin with:

- WHS has 1 x 500gb Western Digital Drive

- External HDD I am backing up shares to is Maxtor 200gb USB 2.0

- There were no errors reported to me, it just took over 8 hours to backup data that using the same drives using copy and paste only took just over 1 hour to move that same amout of data.

- Shared Folder size 104gb

- PC Backups 300gb

- System 43gb

- Free space 19gb

Let me know if you need any other details.

Friday, June 13, 2008 3:08 PM
  • And what exact steps did you use to do the copy/paste?

Friday, June 13, 2008 3:12 PM
  • Before I installed Power Pack 1 I backed everything up by remotely logging on to the server using RDC. I then opened up the shares selected all and clicked copy, followed by opening the external hdd and clicking paste to copy everything over.

Friday, June 13, 2008 3:19 PM
  • Exactly how did you "open the shares"  - as you may have only copied the tombstone files and not the actual data files ...

I am trying to understand how to REPRO your issue

Friday, June 13, 2008 3:22 PM
  • I went to the data partition d: opened up the shares folder and copied across as mentioned before.

Friday, June 13, 2008 3:25 PM
  • Copying from D:\shares does not backup the actual data, just the tombstones associated with the data. If you have Power Pack 1 installed, you can add the external hard drive through the Server Storage tab as a backup hard drive, and you will then have the option to backup your server shares to that external hard drive through the Windows Home Server Console.

Friday, June 13, 2008 3:55 PM
  • Actually I was using the Power Pack feature, which is why I posted this thread as it took over 8 hours to copy across the shares (104gb) using the feature.

Friday, June 13, 2008 3:59 PM
  • pdb911, you should only access files through the server shares, not the file system. Can you please check properties for your shares (right click on D:\Shares and select Properties from the context menu). Look at "Size" and "Size on disk" (once Windows finishes adding everything up, which may take some time). Now compare "Size" and "Size on disk" with the manual copy you made via drag and drop. All but "Size on disk" for D:\Shares should be very close to the same number.
    Friday, June 13, 2008 3:59 PM
  • They all actually match at 104gb on the D:\shares and what I dragged over to the external hdd.

Friday, June 13, 2008 4:06 PM
  •  pdb911 wrote:

Sure, apologies for the lack of information to begin with:

- WHS has 1 x 500gb Western Digital Drive

- External HDD I am backing up shares to is Maxtor 200gb USB 2.0

- There were no errors reported to me, it just took over 8 hours to backup data that using the same drives using copy and paste only took just over 1 hour to move that same amout of data.

- Shared Folder size 104gb

- PC Backups 300gb

- System 43gb

- Free space 19gb

Let me know if you need any other details.

In this case (1 drive system) I would expect that the method used to copy and paste would be OK (although unsupported).  Unless I don't understand, I don't believe tombstones are created on 1 drive systems.  Correct?

Friday, June 13, 2008 4:50 PM
  • Hi - yes it is a 1 drive system at the moment, the only reason I copied the files across was to backup before installing the Power Pack.

The problem I have is that it took over 8 hours to backup the same information using the new Power Pack feature.

Friday, June 13, 2008 4:53 PM