Mr. Wharty: Could You Please Remove Some of the 8 Stickies RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Mr. Wharty,

This was meant to be a private message to you, but I couldn't find a way to send you an email or PM, so I've had to place it here.

Currently, there are eight stickies at the top of the forum, and they are all provide excellent information. Unfortunately, however, because of the sheer number, they tend to distract from the most recent posts.

Is there any way that you could possible reduce the number of them by removing some less important ones. For example, the "Free Event - Windows Server 2012: Preparing for the Data Center Evolution" could go, since this event has already passed.

Anyhow, you are doing an excellent job keeping us informed and answering all our questions. Keep up the good work!

Thanks,

James

Thursday, July 26, 2012 6:39 PM

Answers

• Just removed Microsoft Learning Snacks as a review of the site shows that not much new content is being added.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

• Proposed as answer by tooleyrose Friday, July 27, 2012 3:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by James JT Taylor Friday, July 27, 2012 10:23 PM
    Friday, July 27, 2012 12:40 AM

All replies

• Hi James,

I have removed the Free Event as it should have dropped off automatically.  The rest of the stickies will stay as they deal with some of the most common questions asked on this forum.

Jeff

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton

Thursday, July 26, 2012 11:55 PM
  • I also removed Microsoft Certification Exam Policies

Jeff Wharton

Thursday, July 26, 2012 11:57 PM
  • Just removed Microsoft Learning Snacks as a review of the site shows that not much new content is being added.

Jeff Wharton

• Marked as answer by James JT Taylor Friday, July 27, 2012 10:23 PM
    Friday, July 27, 2012 12:40 AM
  • Thanks, Mr. Wharty. It looks much better now. I sincerely appreciate all your help.

Cheers,

James

Friday, July 27, 2012 1:20 AM
  • It will more than likely grow again though once more Free Events become available :-)

Jeff Wharton

Friday, July 27, 2012 1:23 AM
  • Sure, Mr. Wharty. We're happy for the heads-up on all the free events and other stuff you send us from Microsoft. Thanks again.

James

Friday, July 27, 2012 1:25 AM
  • Maybe the Traning and Certification could split up as it's the only sub forum of the Learning category. Perhaps this would finding questions and announcement more easily.

For instance it could be split into separate sub forums for finding training resources, questions about certification and the exam taking process, and  career choices in general.
    • Edited by Arjen Krap Monday, July 30, 2012 5:42 PM
    Monday, July 30, 2012 5:42 PM
  • Hi Arjen,

This sounds like a great idea to me.

Right now Training & Certification is the only sub-forum of the Learning Forums, and it is very broad. Maybe splitting it up into other sub-forums could help make each sub-category more focused on a specific area, reducing the number of announcements, while making the forums more useful to users.

Maybe Mr. Wharty could suggest this to the forum admins and see what they say.

Monday, July 30, 2012 10:14 PM
  • The biggest problem with this idea is that the two topics go hand-in-hand.  if someone wants to know about exam 70-680 and also wants to know what training they should undertake to assist them with passing this exam, where should the question be asked?

Jeff Wharton

Monday, July 30, 2012 10:18 PM
  • Hi Mr. Wharty,

I do agree with you. This would be very confusing.

However, I was not thinking of "Training" as one sub-forum and "Certification" as another. Instead, I was thinking of finding other ways of splitting them up. For example, we could have the following sub-forums, grouped according to Microsoft certification tracks:

1) MOS

2) MTA

3) MCPD/MCSD

4) MCITP/MCSA/MCSE

5) MCM/MCSM

And, when there is overlap in the subject matter of a post, a user would decide where to post based primarily on their training or certification focus.

Of course, an increased number of forums would require an increased number of admins, along with all the other administrative overhead, so there's an immediate trade-off there, but I think it's something worth considering.

What do you think?

Monday, July 30, 2012 10:51 PM
  • Yes it does sound like a good idea and yes the administrative overhead would definitely increase.  I think it will come down to whether there’s a sufficient number of questions asked on this forum to justify splitting it up.

I also have a separate discussion underway in relation to how this forum fits in with the Born to Learn website and related forums http://borntolearn.mslearn.net/.  To me there’s some duplication and this forum should probably be moved to the BTL forums.  Moving to BTL would also make it easier to modify forum structure as it is administered by Microsoft Learning instead of MSDN/TechNet.

Jeff Wharton

Monday, July 30, 2012 11:14 PM
  • Hi Mr. Wharty,

Thanks for the heads-up on our possible move to the Born to Learn website. That website would probably be a better fit for us since its primary focus is learning. In the meantime I'll stay tuned for any new updates you have for us.

Cheers,

James

Monday, July 30, 2012 11:32 PM