I love my backups....what happens when OneCare goes away?? RRS feed

• Question

• I really like my personal backups I can create with OneCare.

And I DO NOT care for "off-site" backups...it's like giving your whole hard drive contents to someone "out there" to hold for you.
    I prefer to back it up right here in my home and take the backup disks or media to my own "off-site" location for safe keeping, thank you!!

So, how do you propose we back up our system and our data files after OneCare goes away??  Can we go back to something like the old MS Backup program?? That allowed Complete and Incremental backups on any media we choose that will hold them efficiently. It also allowed for selective backups of any specific files/folders we choose.

One Care backup is doing all I need right now and working very well. The other services of One Care are doing ok for me. Yes, if you can scale it down so it's not so labor-intensive on system resources, that's a good thing. But a really reliable and secure product is expensive....someone has to pay for it.

Remember, free stuff is not like stuff you pay for....you get what you pay for!! Pay nothing, get nothing!!

So lets keep the good stuff at resonable cost and that includes a reliable backup tool.
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 4:47 AM

Answers

• Hello Paul, we still have about a year and a half to ponder this question but Windows Backup is certainly an option as well as the many third party backup applications available.
    Jim
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 2:11 PM
  • Local backup strategy depends on the OS you are using, which you didn't mention. Here's a link for the backup options within various versions of Windows Vista:

Methods for backing up your files - Windows Vista Help
    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/0625443e-f5c7-4bec-a5e3-3b7e00503c481033.mspx

Here's some official info about backup in Windows XP, though there are probably simpler explanations elsewhere:

How to use the Backup utility to back up files and folders in Windows XP Home Edition
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/320820

As for the free Anti-Malware (Morro) that Microsoft will be providing, it will be the same thing at its core that exists within Windows Defender, MSRT and Microsoft ForeFront (commercial AV/AS for business) and currently OneCare, so it's really no different than what you've already been using. It's also part of a family of Anti-Malware that are run on more PCs around the world than any other, since all of these share the same engines, detections and virus information collection systems. The only difference is that unlike with OneCare, home users won't have to pay for Morro to protect their personal Windows XP or newer PC systems.

OneCareBear

Windows OneCare Forum Moderator
    Monday, February 9, 2009 6:11 AM

All replies

• Hello Paul, we still have about a year and a half to ponder this question but Windows Backup is certainly an option as well as the many third party backup applications available.
    Jim
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 2:11 PM
  • Local backup strategy depends on the OS you are using, which you didn't mention. Here's a link for the backup options within various versions of Windows Vista:

Methods for backing up your files - Windows Vista Help
    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/0625443e-f5c7-4bec-a5e3-3b7e00503c481033.mspx

Here's some official info about backup in Windows XP, though there are probably simpler explanations elsewhere:

How to use the Backup utility to back up files and folders in Windows XP Home Edition
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/320820

As for the free Anti-Malware (Morro) that Microsoft will be providing, it will be the same thing at its core that exists within Windows Defender, MSRT and Microsoft ForeFront (commercial AV/AS for business) and currently OneCare, so it's really no different than what you've already been using. It's also part of a family of Anti-Malware that are run on more PCs around the world than any other, since all of these share the same engines, detections and virus information collection systems. The only difference is that unlike with OneCare, home users won't have to pay for Morro to protect their personal Windows XP or newer PC systems.

OneCareBear

Windows OneCare Forum Moderator
    Monday, February 9, 2009 6:11 AM