none
What happens if a drive gets removed from the pool temporarily? RRS feed

• Question

• Here's the situation...

I have 6 SATA ports (4 on mobo, 2 on SATA controller card).  All ports are occupied.  The SATA controller card is port multiplier compatible, so I ordered a couple 5x1 PMs and a couple 1.5 TB WD green drives to install. My plan is to connect a PM to each of the 2 ports on my SATA card and increase my available ports by 8.  I've never messed with PMs before, and don't really know what to expect on the install other than what I read in the manual.  Looks like the install is going to be pretty straightforward:

1. Turn off WHS, remove HDDs currently attached to SATA controller.
    2. Install PMs, connect to controller.
    3. Reinstall HDD to port 1 of the PM on the respective controller ports that they were originally connected to.

So I guess my real question is...
    What if a faulty connection, bad hardware, or driver issue results in the temporary removal of either of the HDDs from the storage pool?  How tolerant is WHS to having a drive temporarily removed from the storage pool without going through the "drive removal" wizard?

Anything else that I should be aware of when attempting this upgrade?
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 9:24 PM

Answers

• Nothing bad will happen. Your server will report a missing drive, so you'll reconnect and reboot and all will be well.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 10:04 PM

All replies

• Nothing bad will happen. Your server will report a missing drive, so you'll reconnect and reboot and all will be well.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 10:04 PM
  • WHS is designed tocope with just such a situation.  If the failure is permanent, you just 'remove' the drive and the data on it is duplicated onto other disc drives.
    The only data that can be lost is the PC backup data, since this is not duplicated.
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 8:35 PM
  • OK, another question to pass along.  Can I rearrange the connectivity between the HDDs  and the SATA ports on my mobo (ie move the drive connected to port 1 to port 4).  I'd like to clean up the wire management while I have the chance.
    Friday, October 2, 2009 2:40 AM