Best practice for location of portal - CRM on premise vs. CRM Online RRS feed

• Question

• Could someone explain the pros vs. cons of our portal residing on our own IIS server but connected to CRM Online?

Why is it best for the portal to reside in Azure for CRM Online but on our own IIS server if we deployed CRM on premise?

Regards, Bill

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 11:57 AM

All replies

• Any thoughts to best practices?  I see multiple posts saying the above but I cannot find this in any documentation.  For example the first section of the deployment guide says the following:

Installation Guide

Connecting an On-Premises Customer Portal to Microsoft Dynamics® CRM

Use this guide to learn how to install the Customer Portal solution for Microsoft Dynamics CRM on a Windows Server (IIS) computer that is connected to Microsoft Dynamics CRM (the CRM solution can be running Online or On-Premise).

Regards, Bill

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 2:26 PM
  • Hi Bill,

In my view if you are having CRM online and want a portal it makes sence to go with Azure as we don't have to maintain infrastructure etc... TCO will be lower

If you have hosted CRM and have all the infrastructure for external facing portals (Security, SSL etc...) then its good have it on local servers.

Warm Regards, Vijay Make sure to "Vote as Helpful" and "Mark As Answer",if you get answer of your question.

• Edited by vijay i Friday, November 23, 2012 6:55 AM
    Friday, November 23, 2012 6:54 AM