none
Can we get rid of sigs ?

Question

• There doesn't seem much point in most of the sigs I've seen in the forums and some of them are very annoying. So is there any real need to allow sigs?  Shouldn't people just be able to post a message ?

Two pet hates:

1. "Please mark this reply as an Answer"   This makes me NOT mark a reply as an answer but this sig seems to work for the general public based on the(previous forums) top 100 charts.

2. (US) political slogans. (and yes it's always US political slogans - there's never anyone who says [for instance] "Vote for the Congress Party") 

What has anyone's political views got to do with what are technical forums with an *International* audience ?

Getting rid of sigs would at least mean that the people in question had to make an extra effort to get their begging or political statements across.

The snag is that it would also remove useful sigs such as those from MVPs naming the product for which they are an MVP - useful because it shows crediibility if the post is about that particular product.
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, September 15, 2008 11:36 AM spelling
    Monday, September 15, 2008 10:23 AM

All replies

• Mike, thanks for the suggestion. I agree that if we removed signatures it might remove useful ones and some people would probably use the actual message to include their "message" anyway. We could come up with some guidlines around signature usage or implement some way for a user to simply turn off the redering of them. How much a problem do you think this is?
    Brent Serbus STO Forums Program Manager
    • Proposed as answer by MrHinshMVP Thursday, April 2, 2009 5:50 PM
    Monday, September 15, 2008 11:26 PM
  • It's irritating rather than being a show-stopper.

The irritation would go away for me if I couldn't see them (i.e. your suggestion of removing sigs at the user level is a good one).
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008 6:01 AM
  • Mike:

I would not favor getting rid of sigs altogether, though I would favor some policing of inappropriate sigs. But in the greater scheme of problems with these forums, I don't think this issue is very serious.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008 9:25 AM
  • I don't mind if people have short slogans even if they are political ones. But if the sigs start to be long stories, in big font, or have pictures in them (ascii or binary), then thats pretty annoying. This isn't a random games forum for children. Also if people start to farm their sigs by adding "I agree"-post with a commercial sig/link, then those should be banned, because it gets obvious spamming.
    • Edited by Silvercode Tuesday, September 16, 2008 9:42 AM Added obvious
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008 9:40 AM
  • I think moderation versus elimination of of signature lines is a better approach.  Users should keep them related to show other readers if they carry certifications or other product-related info.  That said, I really like to see the search engine NOT include the signature data when searching.  Dave's signature for example would cause all of his posts in a search for "Visual C++" which to me pollutes the search results with many potentially unrelated posts.

Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging
    Sunday, September 21, 2008 1:39 PM