PC to WHS via home network RRS feed

• Question

• I have managed to set up my home network to access all media using guest, also another account via the internet. My problem is I cannot transfer files directly for my pc at home to the homeserver.

A. created a shared folder private (want to keep it from rest of family)

B. I can see it on my home network but get user does not have permission

C. Here is where I think the problem may be, in my server console/user accounts I have sam as the name, samandcathy as login and a password different from my home pc.

D. my home pc  login is sam as admin

E. Im also not sure how to point the whs to my pc only I thought it is sam/sam-pc

F. I have a 18gb file with several subfolders i want to transfer over, going via internet whs says it cannot copy folders and subfolders, or something like that, meaning i can copy only raw files

G finally the logins i posted above are a varient of my real logins, but for helps purpose I kept it uniform

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 2:17 AM

All replies

• Recommendation: Disable the guest account and use only real accounts for accessing the custom shares.
    Your description lets me assume, that the guest account gets precedence over the name.

Did you install the home server connector software already? (from http://yourservername:55000) This creates also a shortcut on your desktop Shared Folders on Server, which you should be able to use for transfering your files.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 10:33 AM
  •  On 7/13/2010 9:17 PM, rob111111 wrote:

I have managed to set up my home network to access all media using guest, also another account via the internet. My problem is I cannot transfer files directly for my pc at home to the homeserver.

A. created a shared folder private (want to keep it from rest of family)

B. I can see it on my home network but get user does not have permission

C. Here is where I think the problem may be, in my server console/user accounts I have sam as the name, samandcathy as login and a password different from my home pc.

D. my home pc  login is sam as admin

E. Im also not sure how to point the whs to my pc only I thought it is sam/sam-pc

F. I have a 18gb file with several subfolders i want to transfer over, going via internet whs says it cannot copy folders and subfolders, or something like that, meaning i can copy only raw files

G finally the logins i posted above are a varient of my real logins, but for helps purpose I kept it uniform

Along with what Olaf suggested, I would also do the following.  I would change the password on the "samandcathy" username to the same as the "samandcathy" username on the desktop.  If you log in with a different username on the desktop, then you have to create that same username/password on the server.

So, from your scenario, you seem to have the following:

Desktop                                      Server
    Username: sam                         Username: samandcathy
    Password: xxxx                          Password:  yyyyy

That doesn't work.  You have to make the same username/password on both.

Desktop                                       Server
    Username: sam                          Username: sam
    Password: xxxx                           Password: xxxx

Username: samandcathy          Username: samandcathy
    Password: yyyyy                        Password: yyyyy

Username: cathy                        Username: cathy
    Password: zzzz                           Password:  zzzz

What you can do is create accounts for both of you (one for "sam" and one for "cathy" on both the computer and the server.  If necessary, you can create a joint account that both of you normally use.  In the Server connector, don't allow "cathy" to have access to "sam"'s user folders (and vice versa).  Also don't let the joint account have access either.

It becomes a bit of a pain, because you'll have to log into the "sam" account whenever you want to access the private folder.  But, it's either that or not have a private folder.  If you have children, you can create accounts for them also (I recommend giving the "sam", "samandcathy" and "cathy" accounts full access to their folders, but that's a different story).

Also note that if anyone else in the family has the Administrator password (the "Windows Home Server" password), they have access to the private folders regardless of what username you put them under.  And they can reset your password, to get into your private folders if they want.

Have a great day, and sorry for the long-winded post. :)
    Patrick.

Smile... Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Have you updated today?
    http://update.microsoft.com

Smile.. Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 5:45 PM