how to tell if office 2007 is genuine ? RRS feed

• Question

• i am considering buying office 2007, but i would be grateful if you can answer a few questions to check if iam buying a genuine product

is office home and student 2007 available as a 3 user license ?

are there any visual signs to look for ie. is it standard dvd case packaging or packaged similar to windows 7 in a clear plastic case with large clearly rounded top edges ? should the software say made in ireland or made in USA on the top outer edge of the label ?

does it come with a free upgrade to office 2010 or is this yet another scam ?

i am considering buying in my local branch of PCWorld UK which is a reputable company, should i consider buying from an online retailer ?

Garry.

Wednesday, June 2, 2010 3:36 PM

Answers

• Hello Gazzer0007,

It is my understanding that PCWorld in the UK is a major retailer of computers and consumer electronics and operates as a subsidiary of Dixons, another large chain of stores.

IMHO you'd be much better off buying from PCWorld UK than from any no-name software source on the internet or from any sellers on eBay, Amazon, and the like.

Retail licenses for Office H&S 2007 allow simultaneous installation on up to three computers in the same household, and is licensed for noncommerical useage only.  To virew licensing terms for Microsoft software, start at this page http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/en/us/IntellectualProperty/UseTerms/Default.aspx  and then change the localization at the top right to reflect your country.

Office 2007 retail packages are almost identical in design to the Vista package, ie, clear hard plastic rounded corner case with a pivoting media tray.  This tray has the yellow-orange proof of license and product key label affixed to it.  I do not know if the CoA is supposed to read Made in USA or Made in Ireland.

For more information on what to look for, see www.howtotell.com

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 4:02 PM

All replies

• Hello Gazzer0007,

It is my understanding that PCWorld in the UK is a major retailer of computers and consumer electronics and operates as a subsidiary of Dixons, another large chain of stores.

IMHO you'd be much better off buying from PCWorld UK than from any no-name software source on the internet or from any sellers on eBay, Amazon, and the like.

Retail licenses for Office H&S 2007 allow simultaneous installation on up to three computers in the same household, and is licensed for noncommerical useage only.  To virew licensing terms for Microsoft software, start at this page http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/en/us/IntellectualProperty/UseTerms/Default.aspx  and then change the localization at the top right to reflect your country.

Office 2007 retail packages are almost identical in design to the Vista package, ie, clear hard plastic rounded corner case with a pivoting media tray.  This tray has the yellow-orange proof of license and product key label affixed to it.  I do not know if the CoA is supposed to read Made in USA or Made in Ireland.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 4:02 PM
  • "Dan at IT Associates" wrote in message news:e7bd45b5-384f-4bdc-af0f-4b1190b62210...

Hello Gazzer0007,

Dan this is the second time I see you mentioning Amazon in your post about where not to buy software.  You do need to clarify that a little.  Amazon.com has retail and OEM packages of software and is a very reputable reseller of Microsoft and other manufacturer's products.  Where you may have issues with Amazon is their other sellers listed there.  I am currently seeing Office 2007 Ultimate Full versions listed there from $400 (which is a great price for a full retail product) to $149.99 which I would suspect is bogus.  If it says a company name other than Amazon or fulfilled by Amazon, be very cautious in a purchase.  If it says sold by Amazon or fulfilled by Amazon then that product is very likely legitimate. 

Amazon, at least in the US, is generally one of the best sources for MS software as long as you read who is selling the product.  They occasionally have really good sales on products there.  (Home and Student full is currently $99.99 and I have purchased SBE 2007 from them for 1/2 of normal retail and it is a valid product.)
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 8:48 PM
  • Hello LVTravel,

You wrote, " If it says sold by Amazon or fulfilled by Amazon then that product is very likely legitimate."

Agree.  As you mentioned, Amazon is a hybrid venue where buyers may be buying from Amazon itself, or from some other seller who may be perfectly legit or may be a scammer.  Personally I feel comfortable buying directly from Amazon but would not touch anything software offered by an independent seller.  I occasionally elaborate in posts to explain the difference, but most of the time I assume the poster already knows that about Amazon.

Thursday, June 3, 2010 2:03 AM
  • "Dan at IT Associates" wrote in message news:ba908248-47ca-49e4-a004-0f3a982bb436...

Hello LVTravel,

You wrote, " If it says sold by Amazon or fulfilled by Amazon then that product is very likely legitimate."

Agree.  As you mentioned, Amazon is a hybrid venue where buyers may be buying from Amazon itself, or from some other seller who may be perfectly legit or may be a scammer.  Personally I feel comfortable buying directly from Amazon but would not touch anything software offered by an independent seller.  I occasionally elaborate in posts to explain the difference, but most of the time I assume the poster already knows that about Amazon.

As you can see, I am fairly new to the forums but a long time poster to the now defunct MS newsgroups.  I really don't mean to pick and I see you giving a lot of very good information on the forums you post to and I also try to post full information.  (If you ever see me post something wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me.)
    Thursday, June 3, 2010 3:10 AM