NoReplyAll Add-in Disappears? RRS feed

• Question

• All,

NoReplyAll is a great add-in, but on my Windows 7 64-bit Office 2010 64-bit system, the
    add-in keeps “disappearing.” It installs and runs for a while and then
    disappears. I haven’t been able to track when it disappears exactly as yet (I
    just notice it when I go to use it and it is gone).<o:p></o:p>

Does anyone have any idea if this is a bug or my setup (e.g. Outlook 64-bit)? Any help
    would be appreciated.

Aussie

• Edited by Aussie_1 Friday, June 15, 2012 7:00 PM
    Friday, June 15, 2012 6:59 PM

Answers

• The only thing like that that I've come across is if Outlook crashes and reckons a particular add-in is to blame (because it's on the call stack, I guess), it'll disable it (it might ask or tell you next time you start) - this was a bit of a nuisance while debugging early versions of the add-in! I think that if you forcibly terminate Outlook, it does this same check, so it might not be only the result of a "this app has stopped responding" error. But I've not seen this disabling silently happen without some sort of indication.
    • Marked as answer by Aussie_1 Sunday, July 1, 2012 1:41 PM
    Friday, June 22, 2012 5:44 AM

All replies

• Interesting: I've not seen this behaviour but I've also not ever run it with 64 bit Office myself, though there's nothing in the code that ought to be 32 or 64 bit specific. I'll have to see if I can get my hands on a suitable machine... When you say disappears, do you mean it is disabled (and still appears on the add-ins list, just not active), or it completely uninstalls itself (and no longer appears on the Programs & Features list)?
    Sunday, June 17, 2012 11:33 AM
  • Gavin,

Thanks for the reply ... I think that I mean disappears from the toolbar ... But I will double check and report back.

I know that it was still installed because I uninstalled and reinstalled it to get it going again … but it has disappeared from the toolbar again.  

Standby and I will report back tomorrow …

Aussie

Sunday, June 17, 2012 1:36 PM
  • OK: got hold of a machine running 64 bit Outlook 2010 and... so far no problems, sorry. I've installed the add-in, started Outlook, sent a few of messages (with and without clicking with the NoReplyAll buttons), exited and restarted Outlook a couple of times - the add-in is still present and working. This is a very fresh install, with the current Service Pack and all updates that Windows Update offered me (are you fully WU'd?); and I have no other Outlook add-ins apart from whatever comes with the Office install. The machine does have Visual Studio 2010 so there's a (slim, I hope) chance that I've neglected to include some vital (64 bit) component in the distributed installer, which just happens to come as part of the development environment.

Could the add-in be conflicting with something else on your machine - do you have any "non standard" add-ins? What happens if you disable those?

The last couple of sections of http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms269003.aspx (the ones starting "Troubleshooting") talk about capturing Office add-in problems - if you're able to look into those, it would be interesting to see what is being reported, if anything.

As I said, all I've done is fire up Outlook a couple of times: if there's anything in particular about what you're doing, give me precise steps and I'll try repeating those exactly.

Monday, June 18, 2012 8:08 AM
  • Again thanks for the reply ... I have more information.

The add-in was listed as Inactive (so it is still installed). From the Add-in Options dialog, selecing Go and checking the selection box brought the NoReply add-in back online. I will continue to debug as you suggest to try to determine where my problem is - I concur that this is most likelly a conflict on my machine.

I also have Visual Studio 2010 loaded.

Addins on the machine are mainly Microsoft ... but there is an X1 Pro and Symantec Endpoint Protection ... so I will look at them first.

Aussie

Monday, June 18, 2012 1:35 PM
  • Well ... The add-in continues to run ... so I'll reply that enabling the add-in has me running OK ... and let's see if I jinx myself :-)

Would there be some reason that the add-in would run after installation ... but the add-in would not be enabled at the next boot-up so it would be non-operational? Seems highly unlikely :-|

Aussie

Friday, June 22, 2012 12:28 AM
  • The only thing like that that I've come across is if Outlook crashes and reckons a particular add-in is to blame (because it's on the call stack, I guess), it'll disable it (it might ask or tell you next time you start) - this was a bit of a nuisance while debugging early versions of the add-in! I think that if you forcibly terminate Outlook, it does this same check, so it might not be only the result of a "this app has stopped responding" error. But I've not seen this disabling silently happen without some sort of indication.
    • Marked as answer by Aussie_1 Sunday, July 1, 2012 1:41 PM
    Friday, June 22, 2012 5:44 AM
  • Gavin,

Thanks for continuing to advise me on this issue ... as luck would have it ... the add-in is inactive this morning. So I jinxed myself yesterday :-)

But I do recall that I had to forcibly terminate Outlook yesterday. So I will pay attention and see how it goes over the next few days.

Aussie

Friday, June 22, 2012 1:03 PM
  • Gavin, et al,

OK ... let's assume that I am not going to jinx myself today :-) and that my original installations were just a marred by bad luck.

The NoReply addng has stayed engaged over the last week with no problems ... So let's assume that it's going to stay that way. Operator error!

Thanks for your help.

Aussie

Sunday, July 1, 2012 1:40 PM
  • Gavin, et al,

So ... some weeks later now ... and I have only seen the add-in drop out once ... so it looks like you are right and crashes and "improper" activity is probably what disables the addin.

Otherwise ... all is good ... thanks again for the add-in.

Aussie

Thursday, July 19, 2012 6:32 PM
  • Did it vanish without any warning at all, or was there some Outlook crash (or hang that you then had to forcibly close)? The first I can't explain, but the second is probably down to something in the add-in - it's good that it doesn't happen often, but bad that it happens at all! If you can see any pattern in what might be triggering it, that'll be useful. In the meantime, I'd better make more use of 64 bit Office than my few days so far.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/pareshj/archive/2011/04/13/outlook-logging.aspx talks about logging which might help - though, having quickly created a small log and looked at it briefly, I'm not sure I could actually tell what's going on from that!

Friday, July 20, 2012 6:53 AM
  • Gavin,

Sorry ... I was not clear apparerently. I am quite happy with your correct answer from June 22. My last post was just to confirm that I have not noticed any other problems ... and the problems that I had noticed could all (likely) be attributed to Outlook "crashes" on my system.

So my problem is resolved!

Thanks for suggesting a simple fix (that had eluded me) :-)

Aussie

Friday, July 20, 2012 2:50 PM