none
Benchmarking WHS RRS feed

• Question

• There are lots of questions around here regarding the performance of WHS.  It ranges from "will it run on my 8080 Altair" to "why is my dual quad-core Xeon server so dang slow".

As we gain more experience with WHS, it seems that a set of formal benchmarks would be very useful.  People interested in building streaming servers could predict how much money they need to spend.  You could use it to determine if there's a problem in your frankenmachine if its perfomance is out of line for the class of machine.  Novices could predict how the old desktop in the garage would perform.

I'm sure that the WHS Team has done this, but I'm guessling that it would probably take work to 'productize' it enough to make it available.  Any comments, Team?

Assuming that a formal benchmarking procedure isn't going to happen anytime soon, my question is can we collaborate and develop some benchmarks by the members of this forum?

I don't think this is an easy problem.  First, good benchmarks are difficult in general to develop.  Second, nearly everything that you would want to benchmark on WHS is a client-server operation.  This means that the benchmark has to cover the client, network, and WHS server.  Challenging.

What do you think?

Murray

Friday, March 9, 2007 2:28 AM

All replies

• Great idea!  And indeed a tough problem!

I'm not sure we'll be able to do this but we'll add it to the list of cool things we should do :).

Friday, March 9, 2007 3:39 AM