none
How can I select just one state to focus on in Map Point 2011? Once that is accomplished, is there a way to hide pushpins until the the person searching hovers over their county? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm working on a mapping project that will only be focusing on Virginia's various out-of-school programs/food programs asscoaited with them. After we accumulate this information, we are going to post the data on our website, but we only want Virigina to be shown. How can I cut the rest of the US/other places on the map out?

Additionally, is there a way to hide the pushpins on the map until the person doing the searching hovers over a specific county?

Monday, December 12, 2011 3:33 PM

All replies

• Automatically hiding pushpins would require custom programming (and be a bit slow).

One option would be to put the pushpins in individual pushpin sets for each country - then they can be hidden/shown through the Legend. The disadvantage here is that the user has to do this, and the legend could be very full (I assume Virginia has a lot of counties).

Other States can be hidden by covering them up with white shapes. MP2KMag sell a set of templates that do this (they also work at the US County level). We're resellers (see here). There's also a free trial/demo that works with Nevada, so you can see how it works. It isn't perfect (eg. border town names will be truncated) but works pretty well.

Richard Marsden
    MapPoint Add-ins at Mapping-Tools.com
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 2:29 PM