none
What are those “Achievement” medals at the bottom of the profile page? RRS feed

• General discussion

• The profile deployed an update to their recognition system on April 14th. The first release is targeting primarily the Galleries (code) but will eventually carry over to other applications like wiki, blogs and in the coming months, forums.

If you get to your profile page from the forums application, you will see these achievements medals at the bottom of the page and your forums points at the top. In the future there will be one set of numbers that captures all contribution in one place.

If you remove the extra parameters from the URL (?type=forum&referrer=http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-us/reportabug/ for example), you will see what it looks like if you get to the profile from the Galleries application. Or you could go to the galleries (http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/) and then click your user name at the top, you will see the same thing.

In the coming months forums is planning to onboard to this new recognition system, migrating points over and translating all user actions into new achievements (think "Top Answerer Gold" for example). For now users can ignore these, but in the coming months they will mean more to everyone. I have a lot of work to do to document what exactly this means so all the forums users understand more about how these changes will impact them in the near future, I am currently working on this. The new recognition system will be a very positive change for all forums users and will be a step towards more meaningful interactions between us. I'm really looking forward to it.

More information about the recognition system is here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/ff395928.aspx#_Recognition_System  If you have questions about the recognition system itself, you can post those here: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/Profile/threads  Try to keep your questions around the broad system itself, there are not a lot of answers yet around the forums specifics.

Community Forums Program Manager
    Friday, April 15, 2011 5:57 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi Brent!

One question: will the count of posts and count of answers remain being displayed in our profile page? I'm asking this because this is a very important number for us moderators (to know how many posts we answered in a certain period of time)... It's a nice statistic to show our MVP Leads on our renovation periods... And, if we simply start to rely on a recognition system to count our contributions, maybe we'll lose a way of counting our contribution by threads...

The points are OK to disappear, but, the count of posts and answers would be nice to remain there...

Could you, please, take this in account when doing the migration to the Achievements system?

Cheers!

André Alves de Lima
    Microsoft MVP - Client App Dev
    Visite o meu site: http://www.andrealveslima.com.br
    Me siga no Twitter: @andrealveslima
    Friday, April 15, 2011 12:27 PM
  • Andre,

We actually plan to have a lot more stats than just those post counts and answers. Part of the future of the recognition system is giving you the ability to drill in and look at stats over multiple applications, in details not had before. So no, we won't be taking them away and we'll be adding a lot more to it!

Thanks,
    Sean

Friday, April 15, 2011 7:51 PM
  • These are very nice news Sean! Thanks!

Cheers,

André Alves de Lima
    Friday, April 15, 2011 8:48 PM
  • Are the new statistics going to take into account old threads/answers, or just the ones going forward? Thanks.
    -- Mike Burr
    MS Technologies - Development - *nix
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 1:17 AM
  • It's a pity that the 1st of April is past as otherwise I could give you the text of a message I received then about this.

It was along the lines that it was unfair to new people in the forums that some people had acquired over the years large points scores that they would never be able to catch up with and that therefore when the Gold / Silver / Bronze system will start working correctly (expected date (US  date format) 4/1/2012), all points / answers / posts numbers will be zeroized.

As a big Thank You to loyal posters, people with over 10,000 points will receive (just before their points score is zeroized) one new Bronze for each 10,000 points accumulated over the years.

Sunday, May 8, 2011 5:03 PM
  • We don't have any plans to zero out everyone's points. We'll likey have a recalc though, still looking into it.
    Friday, May 13, 2011 4:46 AM
    Answerer
  •  

Brent, sorry for being "late to the party" but given that what you wrote is something which does really interest me, I had to post the following

I agree with the idea of redesigning the "scoring method", I just hope that, while doing so, you'll also take in account people ASKING questions, not just people REPLYING to them; let me try to explain it better

As of today the score (medals) are assigned based on the contribute of a given participant (e.g. if s/he gave good answers and so on), now, this is cool and helps whoever gets an answer understanding how much "value" the answer may have.... but... there's no such a mechanism for people answering to find out the "reputation" of the ones ASKING a question; a lot of people on the forums come in, post a question, wait for some answers to come in, find their solution and... disappear w/o any feedback :(, now that isn't "good behaviour" so, such a kind of behaviour should get some kind of "bad karma" (which, by the way, doesn't mean that a given folk is bad, just that... didn't follow the "etiquette" :D)

The idea is to use such a mechanism to try discouraging the "post, read, go away" kind of approach since it's NEGATIVE, especially since won't help other with the same problem/issue detecting if a given answer (or which one) solved the issue, so, having a "poster karma" along with an "answerer score" could be really useful imVVVHo

Thanks

[edit]

Just in case, the idea may (more or less) be to calculate the number of questions a given "one" posted and the number of "mark as an answer" or "mark as useful" the same one did, so, someone posting a lot of questions but never marking them as an answer or as useful would get his "karma score" decreased while someone which comes back and correctly marks answers/useful-posts (and possibly gives feedback about the solution) will get the "karma score" increased; such a score should then be displayed near to each message so that, whoever will want to answer to a request from someone will immediately realize "who the folk is", not that people with a "bad karma" won't get answers ... but they may somewhat be "penalized" and this in turn will help discouraging the bad behaviour I was talking above and, at the same time, will possibly increase the usefulness of the forums threads

• Edited by ObiWan Wednesday, June 15, 2011 2:57 PM added a short explanation
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 2:44 PM
  • I posted an announcement yesterday to the Fourms Announcement forum. http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/announce/thread/07c68502-6551-4970-adde-7360002c54d5   Please take a peak over at the CTP environment and let us know if anyone has any questions about what will be happening in two weeks. Look forward to hearing feedback!  Thanks Forums Community!
    Friday, July 1, 2011 7:12 PM
    Answerer
  • As I said in my first reply, the count of our posts marked as answer is a very important statistic... And, in this CTP environment I realise that I will NOT be able to know how many of my posts are marked as answer!!!!!!!!

The medals system is very nice and the achievements stuff also seems interesting, but, PLEASE, keep displayed somewhere in our profile (at least as a private information only visible to each user) the count of our posts that are marked as answer!!

I've been using internally for years the count of posts marked as answer as the evaluation of my forum contributions (and I believe others also use this count as well)... And now, if they are gone, we'll need to rely on those reward points that we don't know 100% exactly how they are calculated (and the calculation is complex anyhow)...

Can you guys please consider this feedback? Would it be a problem to keep the "marked as answer post count" somewhere in the profile page as we have in the current version? Also, let me know if it's possible to get this number somehow and I couldn't find it...

André Alves de Lima
    Saturday, July 2, 2011 1:49 AM
  • All these recognition systems continue to be smoke and mirrors with no real benefit to the person who acquires large numbers of these various "achievements".

Ah but you cry, the people with high level of achievements have the chance of becoming a "Microsoft Community Contributor".

Unfortunately that "award" too is a case of smoke and mirrors offering no real benefit to to people who receive it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What you need are tangible benefits to make any of these things worthwhile otherwise you might just as well forget the whole thing and just let us post if and when we feel like it.

Note that I am not talking about money here but about things like early access to betas and to early information about new products; access to Microsoft "trial" software (as in a TechNet subscription) and things like that which would actually help us acquire more knowledge about MS products that would enable us to provide better forum support in the future.

Mike Walsh

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S. It's a pity that the new "achievements" have been announced at the same time as the home page revision etc. I'd much prefer to concentrate on whether that is better or not but all this "achievement" stuff makes my blood boil. (Roughly "get achievements and be incented to get more" seems to be your message.)

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters

Saturday, July 2, 2011 6:43 AM
  • I agree with Andre about the number of answers being an important statistic, although in my case, I view the ratio of answers to posts as even more significant. So I hope we can keep both the post count and the answer count in the profile.
    Saturday, July 2, 2011 12:48 PM
  • Mike, set aside the "smoke and mirror" thing, the whole "awarding" mechanims is ONLY focused on people answering questions but, as I wrote in my other message, there's NO kind of mechanism which allows "evaluating" people ASKING questions; this means that whoever has a problem and posts a question will be able to see if the people answering has a "good score" but, on the other side, there is NO way for whoever answers to requests to know if a given "asker" has a good "score" or not and this is really BAD imho, since the whole mechanism as it is is PENALIZING people answering, people which is volunteering time and effort and which should be able to know if a given question is posted by a "good netizen" or by some "known troll"; I've seen a mechanism like the one used by these forums in other places (e.g. experts exchange) and in ALL those cases these other forums sooner or later turned into some kind of unusable mess

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 4:04 PM
  • I repeated this suggestion in the Recognition System Discussions Forum, and Sean Jenkin kindly pointed out that number of posts and number of answers are available in the Browse Forums Users page even though they are not currently in the Profile page of the CTP forums. He also said it was planned to add them back the Profile page in a later release.

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 2:44 AM
  • Let's see

- click on name of poster to see number of posts and answers

OR

- copy name of poster + click on Browse Forum Users link + paste name of poster

I can't see that many people doing that latter "choice".

Good in other words that it is coming back but it should never have gone in the first place.

Also when is the error in  Browse Forum Users going to be fixed so we see more than a single page of posters (and only in Points order) before adding a search name ? 

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 5:54 AM
  • ObiWan, I agree with you that it will be a shame if people with good intentions are "penalized" for trying to help others out and hopefully that will be rare.  But I have seen too many individual with 5 badges and that rarely contribute anything positive.  It will be interesting to see if they begin focusing on helping people or if they just live with the low ratings.

Just my 2 cents but trying to stay optimistic about the change.  I just reviewed the CTP and for someone about to get to 3 badges it was not terribly flattering.

-James
    MCPD: SharePoint Developer 2010
    Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, July 8, 2011 2:54 AM
  • ObiWan, I agree with you that it will be a shame if people with good intentions are "penalized" for trying to help others out and hopefully that will be rare.  But I have seen too many individual with 5 badges and that rarely contribute anything positive.  It will be interesting to see if they begin focusing on helping people or if they just live with the low ratings.

Just my 2 cents but trying to stay optimistic about the change.  I just reviewed the CTP and for someone about to get to 3 badges it was not terribly flattering.

James, maybe I was unclear, I wasn't referring to "5 badgers" not contributing :) but to people coming on the forums, asking questions, getting answers (possibly after some long thread and quite some effort from the ones answering) and then going away w/o giving any kind of feedback... just to come back again to ask another question and so on

Now, the above kind of people does not help these communities to grow, since the whole idea is based on the fact that who asks a question should then give some feedback (and no, I don't care about medals, the point is that the feedback helps OTHERS with the same kind of issue) so, "bad askers" - let me call them this way - should be somewhat "identifiable" so that "answerers" may then decide how to deal with them; I'm NOT meaning that they won't get answers just that, given that they aren't "responsive/collaborative" the answers to their posts may then be ... delayed and this, in turn may help them understanding that "well behaving" to the community has a value

I hope I was clear now

Friday, July 8, 2011 8:27 AM
  • > I see some new medals now in my profile. However, this is completely different from what I saw when I saw the CTP preview. What does it mean?

What's even odder is that when I click on your name here to see your profile I get an empty(ish) page.

If I go to Browse Forum Users and click your name there (you are in the top twenty point people so visible there) the same thing.

If I search on your Display Name in Browse Forum Owners it doesn't find you (and gives the same virtually empty page).

The same thing when clicking on the display names of other people there. Nothing.

(The reason I was doing this was to try to compare your new reasons for medals with mine - some of which are very odd.)

Mike

Sunday, July 10, 2011 8:12 AM
  • Brent,

I see some new medals now in my profile. However, this is completely different from what I saw when I saw the CTP preview. What does it mean?

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

You'll see the old medals in your profile in production until we flip the switch on Thursday, the medals will go away, points will be updated/recalculated so you will have 1. points and 2. achievements   We started the achievement and new points recalculations in the background, starting on 7/7. It should mostly be complete, next on 7/14 we'll roll out the new ux both in the forum's threads and the profile ux that replaces the medals/points with points and achievement counts.

If you go to the profile from forums and remove the ?type=forum  from the querystring (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/profile/naomi%20%20n/) this is what the profile ux will look like on 7/14. Thread pages will look close to what is on the CTP environment (with the mouse over card, etc).

Thanks everyone for the feedback on the points/answers total metrics being surfaced, I agree the browse users page is a lame way to get to that. I can't repro Mike's problem above around blank pages showing up. And I don't quite understand the statement about how we are punishing answerers. Someone explain this?

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 5:01 AM
    Answerer
  • I don't think MS or MVPs will have any more of an advantage than they do today, what makes you say that?  Yes, your points seem to go down, but not by much, all the 2 points per reply and any self marking is mostly the decline.

One cool thing about the new system is that we can add new achievements whenever we want...mostly. After we get the upgrade finished, we'll take a look at the data in a couple of months and likely add new incentives etc. This flexibility isn't something we can do in the legacy system.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 9:39 PM
    Answerer
  • Brent,

Did I understand correctly? Self marking doesn't count points anymore?

André Alves de Lima
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 11:10 PM
  • If a user posts a reply and marks it as the answer (self marking) they will no longer get points, correct. The recalculation going live tomorrow will reflect these new rules. The self marking points allocation was reported over a year ago and this release will resolve that.
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 5:56 AM
    Answerer
  • > Say, what goes after Code III ?    Code IV no doubt.

You are imo taking this far too seriously.

Who really cares? The medals are just as valuable as the points - i.e. they are completely worthless.

There is thus no point at all in making special efforts to get more of them. Just carry on posting good posts and the medals will come anyway (and be just as pointless).

Mike Walsh

Thursday, July 14, 2011 3:33 PM
  • All achievements users can currently get are on the blog http://blogs.msdn.com/b/addeditdelete/archive/2011/06/30/forums-recognition-update-coming-july-14th-2011.aspx

Over the next couple months we'll be looking at updating our faqs with more specifics. We are doing a lot to centralize recognition across all of our major properties (msdn blogs, wiki, gallery etc). We want to get everyone on-boarded, see how the system is working across properties and then perhaps make a few adjustments. After that we will like consider things less likely to change and will be updating our docs with more specifics.

Mike, one thing I really like about your post is that you explain to people to just keep doing what we are doing, providing good posts and helping users. That is what this is all about, thanks for that!

Thursday, July 14, 2011 5:23 PM
    Answerer
  • My points dropped from 1870 to 1125, thats a lot and i wonder if it's due to: "Self-Marking Answers - Users marking their own posts as answers will not be given points."? Does this applies to moderators too and has this been now applied to older posts?

Because the thing is, i moderate a rather small forum, the german Powershell Forum. Although there are four moderators listed, i'm usally the only one who moderates there. I'm also usually the only one who answers questions there and therefore have to mark my own answers as such or no one will.

Ah, and btw.: the "moderator" - sign next to the name is gone, is this temporary?

http://bytecookie.wordpress.com/

Friday, July 15, 2011 12:27 AM
  • My points dropped from 1870 to 1125, thats a lot and i wonder if it due to "Self-Marking Answers - Users marking their own posts as answers will not be given points."? Does this applies to moderators too and has this been now applied to older posts?

I think you (like everyone else) also lost the 2 points for each reply that were awarded under the old system. I think that amounts to about 400 points in your case.
    Friday, July 15, 2011 12:34 AM
  • Correct Blackwood, thanks for jumping in.
    Friday, July 15, 2011 1:05 AM
    Answerer
  • Yes ,thanks, Blackwood. But still 345 points down :) and it doesn't answer my questions from above.
    Friday, July 15, 2011 1:10 AM
  • Sorry about that, yes, the self marking applies to all users for historical activities also.  The entire history of activity in the forums (last 6 years or so) was completely recalculated.   
    Friday, July 15, 2011 1:14 AM
    Answerer
  • So to clarify, if i continue my efforts and be the sole answerer and active moderator in this forum, its bad luck?

Nice...

Friday, July 15, 2011 1:24 AM
  • Not exactly. Moderators aren't the only people that can mark answers, the people you are helping can and should also.
    Friday, July 15, 2011 2:52 AM
    Answerer
  • Yes some do, most don't. Most of them dont even get the concept. I have at least 60-70% one-timers in the forum. If they even see the button or care about it, they think the answer-mark is there to close the thread, to say "my question is answered", so they usually mark their last reply as answer. I dont blame them, they got what they were here for and my main task as a moderator (at least as it was described to me) was to identify and mark the answers in a thread. Seemingly now i need to decide if i care about the points and if yes they will need to find another moderator. That's a pity.

Friday, July 15, 2011 3:25 AM
  • In the recognition faq they state point updates may take up to 24 hours. But we are going to keep a close eye on things since this major change.
    Friday, July 15, 2011 4:12 AM
    Answerer
  • Not exactly. Moderators aren't the only people that can mark answers, the people you are helping can and should also.

"Should", but they don't, and there's nothing you can do to get them to do so. The same problem occurs over on stackoverflow. I have the "unsung hero" medal on stackoverflow because of all the posts I respond to but never get my responses marked as an answer. Many times, the OP comes back and puts in a comment and says "Thanks, you answered my question!", and still doesn't mark my response as an answer.

The forum I moderate and answer questions in is also small (ClickOnce/Setup&Deployment), and I'm the only non-Microsoft person who regularly answers questions about ClickOnce, so I do mark my answers as answers when I'm certain they fixed the problem and the OP doesn't come back.

I do hope the people who determine the MVP awards take the impact of the changes into effect. I feel for the people whose primary contribution is in the forums.

RobinDotNet

Click here to visit my ClickOnce blog!
    Microsoft MVP, Client App Dev
    Friday, July 15, 2011 5:21 AM
  • If people aren't identifying valuable contributions, I'd rather look into solving some of that than give self marking points. I understand some mods do it out of necessity but I don't think point allocation really helps anything in that case. I know I'll continue to self mark if I need to, I never do it for points.  Also, I would advise following up with the MS folks who own the forums where you are the only one answering questions with no one else is helping out (let me know if you need help with that). Re: the mvp question, probably contact your mvp for an official answer, I don't know enough about all the different things they take into account.
    Good to hear from you Robin.

Friday, July 15, 2011 6:57 AM
    Answerer
  • > My points dropped from 1870 to 1125

a loss of 745.

Just for the record (and I don't care), I lost 30,000 !    (not much less than 50%)  and I do not self-mark

Mike Walsh

Friday, July 15, 2011 10:04 AM
  • > I feel for the people whose primary contribution is in the forums.

My feeling is that the MVP award is no longer beeing given to people whose primary contribution is in the forums.

Instead we have the Microsoft Community Contributor award which is *much* *much* cheaper for Microsoft to administrate (no regular contact with award holders; no backup organisation; no benefits worthy of the name) and it seems that Microsoft feels that that is enough to cover even people spending considerable amounts of their time on forum "work".

Mike Walsh

Friday, July 15, 2011 10:09 AM
  • Denniver, Robin and Brent,

Once again I believe we're being "punished" because of stup1d moderators that just answer anything (75% of the times not answering the thread at all) and mark their answers immediately after that... Unfortunatelly there is a considerably high amount of moderators that act like this (at least in the forums where I moderate)...

I usually act like this: When I'm completely sure that my answer solves the OP's issue, I usually mark my answer as proposed if the OP doesn't say anything for some days... After that, if my answer stays there as proposed for about two weeks without no return from the OP, I go there and mark it as answer... I don't think I should lose my points from these answers, as the new recognition system does...

What I really think that MS should do is to pay extremelly high attention to whom they give the moderator role! It would also be nice to establish some kind of "code of conduct" for marking answers (being them self-marking or not) as I have mine stated above... And, if any moderator breaks this rule, s/he should be warned and, if the behavior repeats, the moderator status from these people should be removed... With this, it wouldn't be necessary to change the recognition system to not consider self-marking...

Anyway, I would like to say that, in the end, I really don't care for the points or medals... As I said before, the only metrics that are important for me are my count of posts and my count of answers... Also, I just want to know these numbers for my own personal goals system (that includes many other things, such as writing articles, recording videos, organizing events, other personal stuff like practicing more sports - hehehe - and so on)...

And, finally, believe me... I don't do these kinds of things to receive any award... I just do it because I like it... The award is just a consequence...

André Alves de Lima
    Friday, July 15, 2011 12:09 PM
  • Great points Andre, bad moderation is certainly a problem and there are a lot of reasons this is happening that speak to how the q/a workflow is working, something we are looking at improving going forward. The system is lacking what I consider a true measure of value that currently, as you state above, is something that is tightly controlled in a manner that isn't very consistent without great ways to isolate and correct abuses or mistakes. These are things we'll be focusing on this fiscal year instead of reverting the notion of self marking point allocation.  The idea of taking into account a post being at proposed before self marking sound interesting, but I also don't want to over-complicate the model either. 

Thanks for everyone, great discussion.

Friday, July 15, 2011 4:36 PM
    Answerer
  • The irony of it is that there was a new wave of Microsoft support people a couple of months ago, and it seems as if they are definitely graded on their answers and/or the percent of answered questions in the forums.

The ones in the ClickOnce forum frequently mark their own answers as answers before the OP even has time to respond, or they mark them as answers just because they themselves posted back that they don't have an answer. I argued with one of them who kept marking a thread answered, and he told me to lighten up!

>>My feeling is that the MVP award is no longer being given to people whose primary contribution is in the forums --MikeWalsh

I think they did do some changes around that in the last year or so. I know there were people who only answered questions in Usenet and never in the forums, and some of them lost their MVP awards when Microsoft shut down their support of the Usenet groups. I know they take different contributions into account, but I still think there are people who predominantly provide support in the forums.

Oh well. I agree with André. As I told Brent yesterday, I answered questions in the forums before I was an MVP, and I'll answer questions in the forums if I'm not an MVP in the future. I have an expertise in a niche technology and there's nobody else out there who supports it, and I'm glad I can make a contribution to help people out.

RobinDotNet

Click here to visit my ClickOnce blog!
    Microsoft MVP, Client App Dev
    Friday, July 15, 2011 4:38 PM
  • > Just for the record (and I don't care), I lost 30,000 ! (not much less than 50%)

For the record: Nobody here cares about points, medals or titles. There is just nothing else to talk about at the moment, so why not talk about that? :)

Friday, July 15, 2011 4:39 PM
  • Here is a sample of this common problem

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/transactsql/thread/d9db5ad1-53d9-46f2-a340-0f7017a745d8

BTW, when I notice such problems I send e-mails to people who I know can fix it and make appropriate adjustments. I already sent e-mail to my friend who can fix it.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Friday, July 15, 2011 5:44 PM
  • I don't think MS or MVPs will have any more of an advantage than they do today, what makes you say that?  Yes, your points seem to go down, but not by much, all the 2 points per reply and any self marking is mostly the decline.

One cool thing about the new system is that we can add new achievements whenever we want...mostly. After we get the upgrade finished, we'll take a look at the data in a couple of months and likely add new incentives etc. This flexibility isn't something we can do in the legacy system.

MS Employees do as they get awarded achievements and points for writing blogs which non-MS Employees can't get.

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 2:05 AM
  • MS Employees do as they get awarded achievements and points for writing blogs which non-MS Employees can't get.
    I believe MS employees (and perhaps some others) can earn achievements for blog entries and moderators can earn achievements for moving posts, but that no recognition  points are earned in either of those cases.
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 3:01 AM
  • Let's try to put some actual values in here rather than hearsay.

I'm a Moderator (not MS)

I have three "achievements" (1 Bronze; 1 Silver; 1 Gold) for "Thread Mover". Only a Moderator can move threads so these achievements aren't possible to get unless you are a Moderator.

I have two "achievements" (1 Bronze; 1 Silver) for "Forum Curator". I would guess that that too is something only a Moderator can get (Noted: based on the normal usage of the word)

All the rest of my "achievements" seem to be ones that non-Moderators can get too.

The above can easily be checked by clicking on my name here and looking at my profile (and clicking on See All).

As for the earlier comment that only MS people can get the achievement for blog posts, that isn't true as I recently saw the profile of a non-MS; non-Moderator who had an achievement for a Blog post and I saw this when I was checking him up in connection with him posting a link to a TechNet Blog item (from him) in a forum thread without saying it was his own blog item he was recommending.

Mike Walsh

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 6:22 AM
  • Re: thread mover, yes, only moderators can do that, at least currently. I'm not sure how long that will be the case though, I'd like to open that up to others in the future so I don't expect that to persist as an action only hand picked people can do. I don't have an eta for that change but it is certainly something I'm looking at. Forum Curator is something mostly moderators would get, or answerers by marking answers. But marking posts as helpful also goes towards curator. So yes, there are a couple of achievements that are more easily attained by moderators and such, at least currently. 
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 7:15 AM
    Answerer
  • Let's try to put some actual values in here rather than hearsay.

I'm a Moderator (not MS)

I have three "achievements" (1 Bronze; 1 Silver; 1 Gold) for "Thread Mover". Only a Moderator can move threads so these achievements aren't possible to get unless you are a Moderator.

I have two "achievements" (1 Bronze; 1 Silver) for "Forum Curator". I would guess that that too is something only a Moderator can get (Noted: based on the normal usage of the word)

All the rest of my "achievements" seem to be ones that non-Moderators can get too.

The above can easily be checked by clicking on my name here and looking at my profile (and clicking on See All).

As for the earlier comment that only MS people can get the achievement for blog posts, that isn't true as I recently saw the profile of a non-MS; non-Moderator who had an achievement for a Blog post and I saw this when I was checking him up in connection with him posting a link to a TechNet Blog item (from him) in a forum thread without saying it was his own blog item he was recommending.

Mike Walsh

Actually it is true!

There are two types of acheivements for blogs (that I have been made aware of by MS Staff):

• One is for creating a blog post on MSDN or TechNet which can only be done by MS Employees
    • One is for making a comment on a MSDN or TechNet blog post.

Please refer to the following thread in which I discuss this with Sean Jenkin http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/Profile/thread/a3704901-fbf9-418c-81f4-4484b31fd451

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 7:15 AM
  • I do not think that it is a good idea for other people than Moderators to be allowed to move posts.

In my own case while people are unlikely to make mistakes when moving a SharePoint 2010 question to a SharePoint 2010 forum, it is necessary for there to be consistency when moving posts within the same set of pre-SP 2010 forums (where there are over 10 to choose from). In my case this means for instance knowing the difference between Admin and General and between Customization and Programming (and these are just the simple ones).

I've already, for instance, noted that very often Moderators in the SP 2010 forums who move pre-SP 2010 questions from there to a pre-SP 2010 forums often move them to the wrong pre-SP 2010 forum (with Microsoft Community support people being the worst offenders). This should underline the need for clear knowledge about what goes where.

The other thing to note is that people are not likely to want to remain Moderators  for long if normal users are able to second guess their Move decisions.

Mike Walsh

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 11:56 AM
  • Hello Arun
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 12:11 AM
    Answerer
  • I don't agree Sean.
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 12:11 AM
    Answerer
  • Thanks! This was very helpful. The link to the Recognition system gives all the required details.
    Monday, June 3, 2013 4:28 AM