How do I add columns to a view from a related entity in CRM v4.0? RRS feed

• Question

• Looking for a way to display on a 'view' columns from a related custom entity.

I am able to select the custom entity when creating the critiera for the view, however, that same entity does not appear on the list to display columns on the actual view.

Is this possible? Am I missing something to set up?

Example:  Contacts & Custom Entity #1 -

- the view is created for the Contacts entity, uses critiera from Custom Entity #1 for results

- however, the view in Contacts only displays contact information, does not have the option in the 'add columns' to add fields from Custom Entity #1 for display....

Thursday, August 21, 2008 5:27 PM

Answers

• Depends.

We have actually done that and have created a view in Programs.

However, part of the intent of this view is to be able to create a Quick Campaign to send out a bulk e-mail. You can not create a quick campaign, nor can you create a direct or bulk e-mail from a custom entity view, only from the contacts entity. The idea is to use this view as the basis for the qc or e-mail.  We will start looking at how to utilize marketing lists or full campaigns as an alternative....

Monday, August 25, 2008 8:10 PM

All replies

• In the advanced find click on the Edit Columns toolbar button --> Add Columns --> Select the Custom Entity # 1 from the entity picklist at the top of the page and check the attributes you need see in the resulting view.

Friday, August 22, 2008 1:32 AM
  • Which relationshiptype have your related custom entity? You can only view 1-n / n-1 related entities a n-m related entity can't be show in the realted views.

Friday, August 22, 2008 10:11 AM
  • Hi, The Contacts Entity is 1:n of Custom Entity #1.

One contact can have many 'program types -as we call them'.

However, I don't see the options to add columns from Custom Entity #1 Programs to the Contacts view.....

Monday, August 25, 2008 7:37 PM
  • It does not make sense to add program types to a contact view because the contact has many programs.

You need to construct a view of the program entity and add the columns you need from the contact entity as mentioned above.

Monday, August 25, 2008 7:55 PM
  • Depends.

We have actually done that and have created a view in Programs.

However, part of the intent of this view is to be able to create a Quick Campaign to send out a bulk e-mail. You can not create a quick campaign, nor can you create a direct or bulk e-mail from a custom entity view, only from the contacts entity. The idea is to use this view as the basis for the qc or e-mail.  We will start looking at how to utilize marketing lists or full campaigns as an alternative....

Monday, August 25, 2008 8:10 PM