Control Nortel Phones over Office Communicator or Outlook 2003 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I'm new to this area...so any info would be helpful.

One of our customers is running a Nortel Comunication Server 1000e with 1140 IP phones.They now wan't do another

step towards complete unified messaging by adding a Communication Server 2007 to their environment.

The question is if they can control their phone on the desk over Outlook or the Office Communicator. They saw this feature

in a multimedia presentation about ICA.

Read a few papers and docs about the whole stuff but couldn't find something like it listed as a feature.

So the question is if this is possible with Office 2003 and such a phone or if it's a future feature with Office 2007, Office 

Communicator 2007 and OCS 2007. They are willing to use OCS 2007 and Office Communicator 2007. But they do not

want to install Office 2007 before the end of 2008.

Any hint would be helpful.

Friday, June 15, 2007 10:04 AM

Answers

• My apologies - I must have misread something when I replied the first time.  For some reason I thought you were asking if they could use Communicator to control their phones without deploying OCS.

So, the answer is yes - they can control their phones with OCS and Communicator.  The only question is what your PBX supports.  See http://forums.microsoft.com/Ocs2007publicbeta/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1674838&SiteID=57 for details on determining which components you need for the solution.

Office 2007 is not required for this - all the necessary support exists in Office 2003 SP2.

Sorry for the confusion.

Friday, June 15, 2007 6:22 PM

All replies

• EDIT: See response below

Friday, June 15, 2007 1:10 PM
  • Sorry...but I don't get it.

You say it's no possible...and a few lines later you write, that Communicator provides the necessary API's and not Office.

All I need to know is if they can control their Nortel Phone with Communicator 2007...
    For example selecting a contact in Outlook or in Communicator and then let the real phone (no softphone) on the desk dial the number...

Friday, June 15, 2007 2:01 PM
  • My apologies - I must have misread something when I replied the first time.  For some reason I thought you were asking if they could use Communicator to control their phones without deploying OCS.

So, the answer is yes - they can control their phones with OCS and Communicator.  The only question is what your PBX supports.  See http://forums.microsoft.com/Ocs2007publicbeta/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1674838&SiteID=57 for details on determining which components you need for the solution.

Office 2007 is not required for this - all the necessary support exists in Office 2003 SP2.

Sorry for the confusion.

Friday, June 15, 2007 6:22 PM