WHS2011 with two Hdd RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

I´ve reacently installed WHS2011 on a computer in whitch I have two 1TB disks. When I look in Server Folders and Hard Drives WHS has split one disk into one c: and one e:. The C: drive is 60 GB and E: is 871GB. The other disk is only one partition, D: and is 931 GB.

Now for my question. On my E: drive WHS have created folders for pictures, documents, film and music. That is fine by me, D: drive on the other hand has no folders at all. What will happend when I´m running out of space on E:? Will WHS automaticly use the D: drive and create folders for me to put new music and stuff on it.

I thought that WHS would merge the two disks together so that I see it as one large disk?!? When I what to watch a movie from my DLNA TV I dot´t want to search on two locations, if you know what I mean...

I hope someone could explaine these questions for me, thank you. 

Rilleman
    Sunday, July 17, 2011 7:32 PM

All replies

• WHS2011 has no concept of Drive Extender to automatically manage multiple disks into a single storage space. All disk management is done manually using the Dashboard so you have to manage your data storage across your available drives. You can use RAID if you need a single disk greater than 2 or 3TB for your DNLA TV. You can't back up more than 2TB using the built in tools.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Tuesday, July 19, 2011 7:03 PM
    Sunday, July 17, 2011 9:24 PM
  • Hi PhilipJH.

Thank  you for your reply on my questions. I found them very useful in my exploration in WHS2011.

//Rilleman

Rilleman
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 6:55 PM
  • I used a WD 320g HD for the WHS2011OS and then used my 1tb and 2tb WD Green Hds for storage etc. Moved all of the folders such as Documents, Pictures etc to the 2 tb drive and moved the client backup to the 1 TB drive.
    Friday, July 29, 2011 12:26 AM
  • WHS2011 has no concept of Drive Extender to automatically manage multiple disks into a single storage space. All disk management is done manually using the Dashboard so you have to manage your data storage across your available drives. You can use RAID if you need a single disk greater than 2 or 3TB for your DNLA TV. You can't back up more than 2TB using the built in tools.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

I just installed WHS2011, I have my data temp stored on external HD's. I'm beginning to understand how to move folders to different drives but since my max size of HD is 2TB and I have 3+TB of similar type files I either need to creat multiple folders  XXX_1 XXX_2, XXX_3 etc  on different drives or try the add in SW to span - any thoughts?

As a test I installed the OS on a 2TB drive, what benefit is there to use a small HD just for the OS?

Britgeezer
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 3:16 AM
  • You may encounter some issues if you try to "span" drives, a technique sometimes referred to as "JBOD". Most such solutions, whether using features of the motherboard BIOS, an add-in HBA with "JBOD" features, or the built-in capbilities in Windows, are less reliable than a single disk, since loss of any disk in the "spanned" volume will probbly cost you all the data on the volume (whatever disk the data is on). In addition, you won't be able to back your data up using the built-in server backup tool in the Dashboard; that has a limit of 2 TB.

All that said, you can do this if you want. It's just not going to be a "supported" configuration, and you'll have to figure out your own backup solution (which you'll really want, given the lowered reliability). Worth consideration is a decent RAID controller (I would recommend against the use of the RAID features in Windows for performance reasons, though your motherbaord may be able to deliver decent performaqnce if it supports RAID) and 4 (or more) disks in a RAID 5 array. This gives you protection from single disk failure, and (if you format the volume yourself) lets you use a single very large volume. Again, it's not a configuration supported by Microsoft, and you'll still have to figure out your own backup plan.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 1:22 PM
  • As a test I installed the OS on a 2TB drive, what benefit is there to use a small HD just for the OS?

Britgeezer
    No real advantage of installing on a small HDD (160GB minimum) for the OS as it only saves you 60GB space on a larger disk. You have two disks instead of one so inherently it's more unreliable, but if its your OS disk that happens to fail, all your data will be there but if the data disk fails all the data will be gone. This of course leads you to the need to back up your server - something you should do whether you have a separate HDD for the OS or not. Restoration of data contained on a system disk is done after a server reinstall on that disk from a server backup.

Thursday, August 4, 2011 7:21 PM